Author Topic: Making Decals  (Read 8560 times)

spotter23

Making Decals
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
I've recently begun to experiment with making my own decals. I've had a few sheets of EXPERTS-CHOICE product for several years just tucked away in my build desk. Recently pulled them out and began to work on some numbers and letters. For the most part what I have created has worked well. I use power point to create the numbers and lettering.........very basic stuff just to experiment. My first disappointment was when I figured out laser printers or most printers don't print white, so making black numbers with a white outline doesn't work. And any sponsor decals that are cut and pasted onto power point won't print any white portions of the logo.

Basically I would like to move to the next level. I see some really nice work by many of you on this site and other forums, and I'm struggling on how to move on from here..........more designs to replicate exact fonts on real cars, more colors, and be able to reproduce some models of short track drivers I watched as a kid at Fairground Speedway In Nashville.

Any suggestions of direction would be welcomed

Thanks Fellows
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap

MarkJ

Re: Making Decals
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
You can make black numbers with white outlines by printing them on white decal paper. the white decal paper becomes the white color you see on the model. Just cut out the number leaving a white border on it which is actually just the white paper. try it , it works.

vsrn

Re: Making Decals
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »
When printing numbers on white decal paper, if you want a white outline, it helps to have a thin black outline as the "cut line".

If you are using Power Point as you artwork program, you can make this outline by stacking up three copies of your number:
on top is the main number, in black (or some other color)
Behind that, make a copy of the number that is big enough to give you the the white outline
In the back, make a copy of the white number, and make it just a hair bigger, and make that the color you want the cut line to be.
It helps to do this on a light color background, like a light grey.

This isn't the way I do artwork, but I have a more expensive artwork program, that makes this very easy.

You can get laser printers that print white, but you need to be prepared to spend at least 10 times as much
as you spent for the laser printer you have!

VSRN