Author Topic: 55 Chevy Dirt Slinger  (Read 13122 times)

thirdgearspeedshop

55 Chevy Dirt Slinger
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »
This is a new project I'm building for a Facebook group build-off. The theme is Tri-Five dirt slingers. I picked up a newly reissued AMT 55 Chevy this weekend at a model show along with some PPP wheels, tires and a couple decal sheets. This will be a generic/fantasy car, not a replica. I'm going for a mid 60s-early 70s era so if you see something incorrect, call me out.

Much like the real deal (I imagine) lot's of sawing and cutting took place first thing. The AMT body is great but the molded in exhaust had to go.
I removed the chrome trim,blocked off the headlights and tail lights, removed the vent window post, wipers, interior doors and inner fenders. I gutted the frame removing the molded exhaust, and gas tank and added a rear cross member. I also relocated the firewall to the floor pan so I could tie in the front bars to the roll cage and keep everything as one unit.

The pile on the lower left is what was removed.

TonyK

Re: 55 Chevy Dirt Slinger
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
Hmmmmm I've looked at this kit thinking of doing what you're doing but figured it was too much work and beyond my capabilities. If you keep us informed of your progress I just may copy your work......if you don't mind. ; )

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
Yes, it's a lot of work. The older Revell Chevy kits would be less work since the frame is molded separate, but I'm working with what I've got. The frame rails are open at the top from the firewall back. Since the top of the frame rails will not be seen I'm not going to worry about it. It wont be perfect, but I think I can make it work.

Fordguy01

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
Great start on the tri five Chevy.  I remember watching lots of these cars race in SE Wisconsin back in the late 60's and also when I was stationed in Rapid city in the 70's and they were extremely competitive.  In Wisconsin some of these were considered late models.  What motor do you plan to use?  Keep posting on the progress.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »
Great start on the tri five Chevy.  I remember watching lots of these cars race in SE Wisconsin back in the late 60's and also when I was stationed in Rapid city in the 70's and they were extremely competitive.  In Wisconsin some of these were considered late models.  What motor do you plan to use?  Keep posting on the progress.

I was planning to use the stock 265 engine that comes in the kit. The kit comes with a few speed goodies, but I was going to stick with stock exhaust manifold and valve covers and make my own exhaust pipes. Perhaps I'll scrap the alternator since the battery could be charged before start up.

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:22:02 PM »
It looks like your off to a great start. Keep us posted, it will be interesting to watch the progress.

Bob

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:29 AM »
UPDATE:
I radiused the rear wheel wells and added a crash bar to the side of the door. I glued a strip of angled stock inside the body to locate the interior pan, I also assembled the front suspension and rear end (not pictured). Next will be establishing the stance and getting it on 4 wheels.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »
This is sure looking good. Looking forward to your next update...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Fordguy01

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
This is looking really cool keep posting pics showing your progress.  I have a coupe of these and I may try one myself in the future.
Fordguy01

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
UPDATE:
I was able to get it on 4 wheels this weekend. Established the ride height and stance. I also added a trans cross member and fabbed a couple motor mounts that look closer to the real thing.

Gary Davis

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
OH yea...that's sure looking good!!! That profile shot sure gives that look and feel of a short track car. You're nailing my memory bank for sure...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
Looking really good so far. A lot of these ran in central Pa. back in the day.

Bob

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
 Update: I gutted the dash to resemble a stripped down version. Still needs a little tweaking, but it's getting there.

Gary Davis

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
Man...does that bring back some memories. I've gutted a few dash's in the past. Good job on the scale dash. Looks real..

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
this is looking real good so far!