Author Topic: 55 Chevy Dirt Slinger  (Read 13122 times)

john2

Re: 55 Chevy Dirt Slinger
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 06:17:49 AM »
 :)  TGSS,  This is my opportunity to offer my standard joke when anyone comments that a model is looking good " so far. "  Most of us longtime guys around here get a laugh out of it.  But that's all it is ----  just a joke.

Your Chevy is looking good, and I am sure it will be great when you finish it.  Hope the rest of it goes easy for you. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:44 AM »
:)  TGSS,  This is my opportunity to offer my standard joke when anyone comments that a model is looking good " so far. "  Most of us longtime guys around here get a laugh out of it.  But that's all it is ----  just a joke.

Your Chevy is looking good, and I am sure it will be great when you finish it.  Hope the rest of it goes easy for you.

;D ;D Yes, let's hope I don't screw it up!

Dirtman

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
This turning out real nice!

Rett

Fordguy01

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 10:23:31 AM »
Looooking goooood!
Al

Marty W

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
How about so far, so good!  ;D

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 08:27:24 AM »
Small update:
I've got the dash mounted, pedals and steering column in. I sourced a steering box from a 66 Nova, and began fabbing the roll cage. Front and rear hoops are installed. The seat is temporarily placed for now. It's a resin piece from Sheldon Rothwell at the Outlaw Speed Shop. More to come

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »
UPDATE:
I built the front hoop and tied it into the roll cage through the holes in the dash, built a structure for the radiator to mount to and used angle stock on the radiator for mounting, made a lower radiator hose out of round stock, and drilled holes in the front of the hood.

Question for those of you who know these cars well:
Did the hobby stock divisions back in the day use stock or heavy duty shocks up front? One on each side? two? Photos of a typical set up would be great.
Thanks

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
Man Third gear...this is really looking good. The shock question is a good one. I think it depends on what racing Assc. your running with. The west coast folks might let them run beef'd up shocks while the east coast folks might make them run stock shocks. Thta's what I remember anyway.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Lefturns75

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »
Third, since you have gone with the wide five hubs and wheels, I would add an out board racing shock on the front.  Where I am, cars like yours would have been in the "Late Model" class until about 1971 and then it would become a Hobby Stocker all of which used racing shocks here.  The most common spot to mount the front shock was the lower A arm close to the ball joint and top mounted to the front engine cage hoop.  The rear would be the builders choice.  Here is a typical example for a tri-five chassis.  You can see the top of the shock mounted to the front cage, the lower end to the front side of the A arm hidden by the tire.  I have seen all kinds of odd ball set ups but the fast guys were like this.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
I agree with Leftturns. Around Iowa, the couple year old late models generally became sportsman cars. A little heavy for evolving late model classes and not quite enough motor either. They would have the old late model running gear and suspension parts.

Great pictorial build! These how to's are informative and inspiring. They make this forum the place to be for short track subjects! Thank you for taking the time to document it.

Tb
Ps...PM sent

Fordguy01

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »
My car had one stock shock on each corner-now remember this was back in the 60's in SE Wisconsin and also the only rim that could be off set was the right front as that one took the most stress.  Hope this helps.

Al

Dirtman

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »
My car had one stock shock on each corner-now remember this was back in the 60's in SE Wisconsin and also the only rim that could be off set was the right front as that one took the most stress.  Hope this helps.

Al
I too raced in SE Wis. Sportsman at Hales, Cedarburg, and Slinger. Two heavy duty shocks on the right front, also pie cut upper control arm to help lead it into the corner. I burned a couple of big Merc spindles until I put a Stock Car Products hub on that I got from Jimmy Lord. Never had a problem after that. BTW, I was running '62 and '64 Ford Galaxie.

Rett
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:37:15 PM by Dirtman »

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's great to hear from the guys that actually raced and built these things back in the day. Much appreciated.

BobD

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
Just got around to seeing this....a GREAT tutorial & subject matter! Looking forward to the completed project!

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »
UPDATE:

I got the front bumper and nerf bar installed. Still on the fence about attaching the stock bumper or run it as is. The roll cage is almost complete. It fits really well within the body and matches the shape of the body real well, I'm happy with it.  Rear firewall has been shaped and installed and the gas tank has been installed. Just a little more frame work and I can move on to the engine and smaller details before paint. It's getting there.