Author Topic: .39 Ford sedan  (Read 2738 times)

Olderndirt

.39 Ford sedan
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking for the .39 Ford stuff from the '39/'40 sedan kit. Need the hood, headlights, tail lights,, and grill.
 Do any of you know of an aftermarket source for a '39 Ford dashboard, and banjo steering wheel?

Olderndirt

Dirtman

Re: .39 Ford sedan
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
I might be able to handle all of it except the Banjo wheel. Got this "IRMA"  thing to work on, but I'll check tonight or tomorrow....

Rett

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
I've got the hood, headlights and lens', tailights, and grille. Sorry I can't help ya with dash and steering wheel. Got a dash that looks "close" to a '39 you can have and maybe make work, also a 40 dash....Anyway, give me an address and I'll send them to ya.

Rett

Olderndirt

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
Dirtman;

Thanks for the help. I haven't heard of anybody making a '39 Ford dashboard either, I was just hoping somebody knew of a source. The banjo '39 steering wheel, I did see offered some time ago, but don't remember who was making it, and haven't been able to find it now that I want one. TTYL.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
 :)  What does a banjo steering wheel look like ? 

I have something that might be one, but if they are that hard to find, mine is probably not it.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
John;

The three spokes that connect the center hub, to the wheel rim, are comprised of metal spokes in groups of three, or four. '39 Fords had a different dashboard, a banjo wheel, and were strictly floor shift, where the '40 Fords were the first column shift models.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
 :)  Send me your address, and I will send you what I have.  It may, or may not help you.  I do not need it back.

Olderndirt

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
John2;

I got the stearing wheel in the mail late yesterday afternoon. It great, just what I was looking for. I'm working on converting a '36 Ford dashboard into a '39 just because I think it will be easier than trying to convert a '40.
 The project is actually a model of a rare '39 Ford convertible sedan. And, of course because a top down representation would have been relatively easy, it will be top up.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 08:34:52 AM »
 :)  Glad you got it, and to be of service. 

ausbodies

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 06:08:41 AM »
Dirt, I just finished a conversion to a 39 Ford dash and it was dead easy.  the dash you need to start with is the custom hi-tech dash out of later issue AMT 40 ford coupes. These things are fairly outdated these days so most guys who do rods will probably have a bunch they would love to give away. It is a perfect fit for the 40 Tudor interior tub.

Grab your razor saw and slice the whole custom face of but leaving the ledge at the bottom where the switches are. Now get a flat bit of styrene and drill two holes in it to represent the holes where the instruments live. Google up "39 Dash" and you will find plenty of images to give you a guide as to size and spacing.   its easiest to drill the holes before you cut the piece to size to fit across the dash.

Next, get some very thin strips of Evergreen or stretched sprue and make the vertical trim detail and the louvre detail in the middle of the dash. You can also drill a few tiny holes for where the old switches originally lived.

Finally, gently file the lower edge of the original dash slightly upwards, using the Google images as a guide. 

That's it - shouldn't take more than an hour and it will look the part.  If I can work out posting pictures I will get some up here.

Cheers

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
Ausbodies, thanks for the advice. I'm digging for that custom '40 dash as we speak. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of them in my junk box. I'm very glad to hear from someone who obviously knows their '39 and '40 Fords.
 The old black AMT sedan is one of the first models I built as a kid. So I really have a soft spot for them. The coupe kits are a dime a dozen, but the sedan is a little harder to find, and always costs more. But, in spite of this I decided to try to build one of all the '39 and '40 Fords that were offered by Ford. This is a bigger job than I anticipated. The four door convertible sedan is going to be a big challenge.

Olderndirt