Author Topic: What paint for bare metal Sprint car wing  (Read 9657 times)

jchrisf

What paint for bare metal Sprint car wing
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
Just curious what the Sprint car builders here use for their Sprint car wings.  All mine are in chrome plating but some of it is scratched up.

Dr. Kerry

Re: What paint for bare metal Sprint car wing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
Bare metal foil it!! Cut the strips to width and lay it down on the leading edge and work it back with a Q Tip to level it as you go. Work slow with it and it can be done! I’ve done a bunk house on a semi truck all in foil..
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

jchrisf

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
Thanks.. can you put decals on BMF?

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
... I know this isn't the best picture....

The valve covers and air cleaner cover were shot with Dupli-Color Chrome...available at better auto part stores everywhere.
  If your still interested, I can shoot some on a plastic spoon from the rattle can and have you take a better look.
  To get an even better reflective Chrome appearance, I shoot a base coat of Gloss Black....the shinier the Black, the deeper the reflective appearance.
  Keep this in mind....A 1:1 sprint car wing more than likely would not have been a Chrome...unless it was a show piece.
 1) Chrome anything is more expensive than its counterparts.
 2) Sprint cars are more apt to roll over than anything else (See #1 above)
 3) The Chrome plating would have added unnecessary weight.
 4) The blinding effect of the sun reflecting off of the Chrome wing would not have been well received by fellow racers.
 5) Ever tried cleaning mud off of a Chrome wing..and still have the wing be all bright and shiny.  Whether it be the sticky gumbo mud of the South or the constant blasting of grit from an asphalt track, the Chrome plating dulls rather quickly.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

jchrisf

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »
Hey Brian, I do have the Duplicolor Perfect Match Chrome.  I noticed Duplicolor has another chrome spray bottle but I have only tried the perfect match.  I do like it but recently compared it to Molotow and Molotow looked much more like chrome.  However, in this instance I believe the Duplicolor might work out because I'm sure the bare metal on a Sprint car wings is aluminum and the Duplicolor chrome may look a lot like shiny aluminum.  Thanks for the tip on using the glossy black.  I have some Duplicolor acrylic enamel gloss black... wonder if that would work underneath?

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
  Stick with the Aluminum color for the wing and you will be fine.  As far as the Acrylic Enamel Gloss Black being used as a base coat, I would first test it on a plastic spoon to see if it is compatible with what ever other paint you might be using....if it dries correctly and looks like you want it then you are good to go. 
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Grt222

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 11:02:41 PM »
Something else that looks good is the testors model master aluminum plate buffing metalizer lacquer spray. Spray it on and let it dry and lightly buff with a soft cloth. Looks a lot like a 1:1 sprint car wing. Just another option for ya.

jchrisf

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »
Something else that looks good is the testors model master aluminum plate buffing metalizer lacquer spray. Spray it on and let it dry and lightly buff with a soft cloth. Looks a lot like a 1:1 sprint car wing. Just another option for ya.

Hey thanks.. I was getting ready to place an order for paint and was thinking about the Testor's Metalizers.  I might have to get some of the bottled ones too and shoot them through the airbrush to see which I like better.

jchrisf

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
I think the Duplicolor Perfect Match Chrome will do the trick.