Author Topic: A Little Sillyness .......  (Read 3324 times)

john2

A Little Sillyness .......
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »
in these serious, difficult, and sad times in which we find ourselves.   

In Scale Auto they usually show 12 or so new kits, usually none that I care to build.  I only have a few mags but I find myself continually looking through these same ones.  Occasionally,   I play a little game to decide if I could only do one of those models, which one would it be ? 

On page 8 of the April 2017 issue, there is a '49 Ford I would choose, although I'm really not much interested in it either. 

But to its left there is a Omron Porsche 962C.  Nice, beautiful, fast looking car.  I don't follow road racing sports cars, so I really know nothing about them. 

But say I was to choose that kit, and since I don't know beans, I decided  to make up my own colors and sponsor.  It occurs to me that I could chop up and rearrange that word OMRON  to read MORON. 

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

Re: A Little Sillyness .......
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
I've gotten quite a collection of SA and SAE, plus a few oldies but goodies form the late '60s and early '70's, namely Car Model and Model Car & Science. The latter two I mentioned had more stories, etc, regarding slot car racing and was as some R/C racing, which were quite popular back then. but drag cars were very popular back then as well...

In the early '70's I bought a small Aurora HO slot car set and added some track at various points, but never a permanent setup....(same for my dabbles in model railroading)
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:33:51 AM »
You were supposed to laugh, Ed.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
Me, I have mine scattered all over the place...not in any order.....stashed where ever the last time I look at them and that can be most anywhere around the house.....

I was surprised that Tim Boyd did a follow up on Chevy P/U's bast and present not long after he did one of the history of Ford P/U's. just ones in 1/24 & 1/25 scale, both times.
Fords are in the Oct 2019 issue and the Chevys are in the Apr 2020 issue.....
However in teh Dec 2000 issue of Scale Auto Enthusiast, there was an article on Chevy P/U's kit history, which I guess was when the Revell '41 Chevy P/U first came out....
All three are great articles...Of course those articles just make me miss the AMT early '60's Chevy and Ford P/U's, the good Ol' 3n1 kits....

Another favorite issue, is the Feb 2008 one.....Then contributor to SA, Drew Hierwarter, did an article on what he was doing with the old AMT Grant King sprints, this would have been shortly after the reissue back around 2006/07. He had two completed builds and w WIP's, one of WIP's was backdating the kit to the '60's with an Offy....And since I'm a fan of the '70's sprint cars, that issue was a keeper.....

And, somehow I've kept the Jan/Feb 1981 issue of SAE.....A couple of reasons for hanging on to that  issue, is an article on Bobby Allison and the Matador he ran outside of NASCAR, but the real reason for still keeping it....was a pic of a 1 Ton GMC tow truck, that combined the AMT '72 GMC stepside SWB P/U and the tow bed from the Revell late '70's Midnight Cowboy "Custom" tow truck bed withouth any alterations to the Wheelbase...Since i hung around a tow operation in the early '70's to the very early '80's and he had a couple of Chevy 1 Ton two trucks I always wanted to try and land those two kits and locate the LWB AMT or MPC Chevy P/U's , swap cabs with the GMC...But, alas,got the early '70's LWB  kits and a few years ago, scored the Midnight Cowboy kit, but have not been able to find the GMC, at least at a reasonable cost....

Seems like every time I get ready not to renew my subscription to SA, they come up with an article that catches my interest.....

There have been a couple of times when I've written to SA, that has shown up in an issue a few months later....which was NOT my intention.... :o ::) :)
But then, maybe it's nice to get my name in the magazine..... ;) :)
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:50:39 PM »
Well, I guess I'm the only one who thought it was funny.  75 hits and  only one guy replies ( twice ) and he is still serious. 

I am sorry if my attempt at humor was out of place. 

Build on everybody.  I'm still working on my hauler.

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
3rd time a charm???

Maybe I didn't recognize all those cars you were talking about....

though SA did do a review on the latest R/M sprint car.....
Me, I ain't tackled on of those since 1987.....
Collected a number of the older versions back in 2007.....

but, you original post brought a huge smile to my face.....

Think I made 'em mad at SA.....Asked if they ever did a review on the old AMY GK sprint/super mod 2n1 kit....
haven't heard anything from them since....

Ah.....ain't life grand..... 8) :)

Ed K.

john2

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 11:01:23 AM »
I wasn't really talking about the magazine.  Only a silly thought that ran through my mind. 

Thanks Ed. 

TarheelRick

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 07:12:11 AM »
Rearranging the letters in car names can be amusing at times.  For instance my beloved FORD to DORF.  But then there are others that even as they are they fit this topic very well.  For instance DODGE, dodge at all costs, not worth it; or some letters can be omitted and you have DOG which also works very well..
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:04:43 AM »
Rick, I was behind a Dodge pickup one day, and on the tailgate, the guy had made it into " DOUG ", and it was a professional looking job.  I couldn't imagine how he did it,  because I believe those  letters are recessed.  Neat as a pin. 

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »
Saw a Ford van in a gas station across from where I worked around '73 or '74 where the metal Ford emblem was DORF. Owner claimed he bought it new just like that....
Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
John in these times a little silliness and/or humor can and will go a long ways towards getting us through this ugliness that we are ALL going through now.  So please guys and ladies be safe and build on nd oh how I wish the buck stopped here, cause I can use a few.

Al

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »
Al...

I hear ya'.....!
Ed K.