Author Topic: '66 Ford Galaxie stock car question  (Read 969 times)

Volzfan59

'66 Ford Galaxie stock car question
« on: November 11, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
Just a general question. I'm working on a 1966 Ford Galaxie local type stock car, maybe a limited L/M or hobby stock. While not building any particular car, I've been attempting to do a little research. All I'm coming up with is NASCAR Cup Series pictures from that era. Does anyone know when the car builder's started removing the inner front fenders?

All of the photos I've found (NASCAR Cup Series) still have the inner fenders. To be honest, I haven't found any local type photos.

Thank you for the help.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Speedracer

Re: '66 Ford Galaxie stock car question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 01:01:56 PM »
It may have been a "rules thing". Having served on my local track rules and tech committees, I know it was at our track as well as our "sister tracks" within our area. We used pretty much the same rules to allow for racing at each others tracks. Lubbock ran on Friday, Amarillo on Saturday and Clovis, NM on Sunday. We required inner panels remain intact for the bomber, hobby and street stock classes. The only modification to inner panels that was allowed was the drivers side door to allow for rollcage door bar clearance. We felt inner panel design allowed for rigidity, structural integrity and crush panel function.

Volzfan59

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 01:15:20 PM »
Thank you Speedracer. I'm going to leave them in on this build, but I'm thinking I would like to do another one too. Just not finding much reference stuff.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

RCR

• Ron Coon Resins
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 04:07:30 PM »
I'm sure it would be different from area to area here is my thought process. I would think if it were a pavement car the front wheel housings would be removed and the rears left as is. If it were a dirt car both would be removed. There was a time when dirt tracks were prepped for heavy tracks, unlike today, and the mud build up in inner wheel house would be an issue. Just my 2 cents worth.

Volzfan59

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 04:23:00 PM »
Thank you RCR.