Author Topic: A very wet night.....  (Read 1960 times)

sentsat71

A very wet night.....
« on: June 21, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
Started raining heavily late yesterday afternoon, not sure when it started letting up, but around eleven last night, the sump pump in the basement was not shutting off. when to look down the stairst to the basement and it was underwater.......Called landlord and he tried setting up a second sump pump to pump water out of a hose to the outside, as he figured the tile that the main sump pump was pumping into was too full......I figure there was at least 2 inches of water on the floor. He fought it for 2 hours by which time the main sump pump was starting to slightly slow down on its on and off system. both drains in the basement, including the one the sump pump was pumping into was coming out of it as well.....even tried a 2nd spare pump, but water was not deep enough to where it was doing any good.....He left around 1 AM.....
About an hour later, I heard the spare pump get loud....sucking air and not water...went to go turn in off, and most of the water was gone off the floor, except what I've been having across the floor since the snow from April snow storms started melting.
Small town I live in got 6 inches of rain from around 4 PM yesterday until around midnight.....and it is still raining off and on, though, hopefully, no hard down pours. Though my town was lucky in one sense, as town just 10 miles south got 9" during the same time......
I was fortunate in only having 2" of water in my basement. My brother's house in another part of town, which happens to be one of the real low spots in town, was fighting 4" of water in his basement at 11PM when I called them. Heard last night that other houses in low lying areas of town, had more than 4" of water in the basement...

And, it's raining again.................................................... :(

Farmers around here are really going to take a hit, crop wise, some have replanted areas there were flooding out in their fields.....don't even want to look at fields around here.....and once the fields dry out, it is now too late to replant......

Have shelves in the basement where I finally pulled kit boxes out of what most of them had been stored in since 2008. When it started raining hard for a while, I went down and pulled the boxes off the bottom shelves....glad I did.....

Not a good start to the official summer season....... :'(

Hope the rest of you are having a better day.....!   :) :D ;D

Forecast for this week was going to be rain......and it's "living up to it"   :(
Ed K.