Author Topic: 7-19-18 Every one o.k in Iowa???  (Read 3107 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
7-19-18 Every one o.k in Iowa???
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
....as of 5:30 CDT 29 reported Tornados in Iowa ......got pounded by wind here in Topeka, Ks.  Will be on the working end of a chain saw this evening getting the yard squared away >:( 
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: 7-19-18 Every one o.k in Iowa???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
I'm in Newton which is about 30 miles east of Des Moines.  We are fine here.  The City of Marshalltown, Iowa which is where Parts by Parks is located took a direct hit on the north side of town where the downtown is located.  Lot of very catastrophic damage there as well as Pella, Iowa.  Pella is about 20 miles southeast of us an they took a major hit on the east side of town.  Vermeer Corp. took a direct hit on their factory and reports say many employees were injured.  Bondurant, Iowa which is a bedroom community just northeast of Des Moines took a hard hit as well.  Will know much more on injuries etc later tonight.  Like I said, all is well in Newton.  Thanks for asking Brian.  I hope your damages in Topeka are not life related.  Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.  It's been a crazy afternoon.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
Guess I am kinda glad I'm south of the Mason-Dixon.  It's just hot here, 105 degrees.  Some of those storms have crossed over the line this evening but are east of my location.  Brian old pal if I was you, I would stay on the Hold'n end of that Chain Saw.  The Work'n end is kinda hard on fingers.   

Brian Conn

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
...Afraid things are going from bad to worse.....
    This report from Taney Co. Mo.     Branson...Table Rock Lake

Major Wind causes major incident on Table Rock Lake, Branson Ride the Ducks Capsized 30 people in the water, Other Boater Problems, Showboat Branson Bell Staging Area and State Park over 6 fatalities, Divers Searching.also other area damage

This would be the same storm system that passed to the East of Lefturns 75 in Arkansas.....listening to a live,online scanner feed from Taney Co. Mo.   what I'm hearing is bad...........

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
Yup, just sprinkles here. More stuff out there tonite, but looks like it may stay in the upper half of the state.

tb

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »
Outside of rain here, no severe weather in the area, in North Central Iowa (slightly West of being true North Central) or my NOAA radio would have been going crazy. If any strong storms are even in neighboring counties to Kossuth, NOAA will still send out warning messages.....

Looking at an online weather source. Any more rain that might come our way, is coming from the North/Northwest, none looking severe.......yet.......
Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
I'm glad you guys up in northern Iowa missed out on the rain, Ed.  Y'all have more than paid your dues with all the rain you've had this summer.  Funny thing, the storms yesterday just blew up out of a clear sky.  That is so weird.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
Brian, I meant to ask and got sidetracked, how bad was the damage at your place?  I'm glad you didn't have any tornado's.  It's been a crazy summer with the heat and humidity.  I surprised that we haven't had more nasty storms.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Greg Birky said:
I'm glad you guys up in northern Iowa missed out on the rain, Ed.  Y'all have more than paid your dues with all the rain you've had this summer.

won't argue with you there....still fields in the area that STILL have water standing in them!!

Ever since the snow from the April snow storms, the City of Estherville as been flooded all along the West Fork Des Moines River, and after that big rain storm a month or so ago, the river is out of its banks like I've never seen before.....don't even know where the banks of the river are....it's that high, or was earlier in  the month when we were up that way....

Heard someone make a comment several days ago, would like to see aerial pictures of Iowa NOW!!

Just hope all this wild weather starts calming down around the state.....
Ed K.

Brian Conn

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
   Ship some of that excess water down here to Kansas to help quench the drought conditions that is impacting crop production... >:(
   Now that the dust has settled from Thrus. afternoon/early evening....

............................  The City of Marshalltown, Iowa which is where Parts by Parks is located took a direct hit on the north side of town where the downtown is located.  Lot of very catastrophic damage there as well as Pella, Iowa.  Pella is about 20 miles southeast of us an they took a major hit on the east side of town.  Vermeer Corp. took a direct hit on their factory and reports say many employees were injured.....
  That's what started this post in the first place....started reading the storm reports from the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Ok. trying to figure out what had happened here, but was bombarded by what had happened/was happening in Iowa(Pella, Marshalltown in particular)....is Parts by Parks still o.k??? 

........... Thanks for asking Brian.  I hope your damages in Topeka are not life related.  Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.  It's been a crazy afternoon.
Brian, I meant to ask and got sidetracked, how bad was the damage at your place?  I'm glad you didn't have any tornado's. 

yea, it was...My wife Amy was home alone when all this happened here...70-80 m.p.h winds from the West...one of the frantic calls made to me was a blow by blow account of the trees being bent and whipped around in the front yard.  Needles to say she was frazzled by the time I made it home after work, so I decided carry out was in order....in our travels across town some areas had more damage (trees, power lines, privacy fenches, etc etc.) than others that looked as if nothing had occurred.

...........  Some of those storms have crossed over the line this evening but are east of my location.  Brian old pal if I was you, I would stay on the Hold'n end of that Chain Saw.  The Work'n end is kinda hard on fingers.   

I was able to back up in time one of the weather radar sites that I use....that storm that you speak of fired up aprox. 50 miles N.W of here and traveled generally East/South East....went just to the South of the Kansas City Metro area to Clinton, Mo. and made a bead on Springfield, Mo. and points South including the Branson/Table Rock Lake area on into Arkansas.
  So would I have been on the business end of the chain saw instead if the chain and bar is the working end?? :-[   Heard something referenced like this involving a sawed off shot gun once...

......... If any strong storms are even in neighboring counties to Kossuth, NOAA will still send out warning messages.....

Here's my Public Service Announcement:
  NOAA Weather Radios save lives...it doesn't matter where you live or what type of weather you generally experience...either you have a weather radio or need one....don't get caught by surprise the next time natures fury gets unleashed where you live.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:24:20 PM by Brian Conn »

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »
Brian Conn said

Here's my Public Service Announcement:
  NOAA Weather Radios save lives...it doesn't matter where you live or what type of weather you generally experience...either you have a weather radio or need one....don't get caught by surprise the next time natures fury gets unleashed where you live.

A year ago early March, the beginning of the month where I live was having April type weather, temp wise. Mid to late afternoon on the 1st Monday of the month, NOAA radio was going "crazy" as bulletins were being sent out before the previous notice was finished. Then about that time the Tornado/Severe weather siren when off.... and yes, I headed for the basement. The town siren must have kept going for well over five minutes (at least it seemed like it wasn't stopping any time soon) and still could hear the NOAA radio still sending out warning notices before previous ones were ever finished. Never did hear if any tornadoes touched down or not, nor did I hear of any weather damage either....several minutes later, the radio calmed down, and the siren finally ceased, and the sun was shining in the West basement window.

Oh, then the following Monday we were shoveling snow......
Ed K.

spotter23

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
Geeeeeee heard about this on our local TN news & weather! Headed to Newton Friday to work the NASCAR Xfinity & K&N races this weekend. Hope all are safe & bad weather is out of the area.
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
Geeeeeee heard about this on our local TN news & weather! Headed to Newton Friday to work the NASCAR Xfinity & K&N races this weekend. Hope all are safe & bad weather is out of the area.

Actually the Newton area only got some heavy rain but the weather is beautiful this week.  Come on up and enjoy the weekend.  I wouldn't take it to the bank just yet but the weather gal here said the weekend highs should be mid to upper 70's.  Sorry I won't be around this weekend since I just live about 4 miles due north of the Iowa Speedway.  That damage was about 30 miles to the north in Marshalltown and 25 miles southeast in Pella.  I assume, bad thing to do, that from your handle that your a spotter for a race team.  I hope you guys have a successful weekend.😎🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

spotter23

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
I thought it might be cool to meet you if you were around, had no idea you lived in that area. I work with Roush Fenway, & driver Ryan Reed in the NXS series & this weekend Tyler Dippel driving David Gilland’s K&N Car......maybe next year
MG
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap