Author Topic: Gorgeous 24 stud Ford Flathead  (Read 1824 times)

Maineboy

Gorgeous 24 stud Ford Flathead
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »
Perhaps some know of this place but I just found this with a google search a couple days back. This is a truly gorgeous version of that old standby 24 stud flathead Ford motor.  It is made from resin with a 3D printer. Amazing. The detail is just striking. He has several other model engines that could work in a race car model. He has got a real nice carbureted big block Chevy for similar price plus lots of other stuff.

flatty 1 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

It has an automatic tranny with it but should not be hard to adapt another transmission.

flatty2 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

If someone was building an old racecar model, where the nose was off and the motor was exposed this could add a lot to it. Just looking at the pics I would love to get my hands on it to detail. May have to dump out my change jar to see if I can get one.  $25 according to the listing, but not bad for the most realistic model of that engine that I think I have ever seen.

https://www.ebay.com/str/texas3dcutsoms

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Duane Garner

Re: Gorgeous 24 stud Ford Flathead
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:44:53 PM »
Cool stuff! Also give Iceman Collections (.com) a look. He has three different flatheads along with a number of others. I've got 2 of his twin turbo hemi's sloted for a couple Ken Block "Hoonigan" drifters. (Not short track racers, but cool anyways!) Iceman Collections is also available through ebay

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 08:33:34 PM »
Duane,  Thank you for that link to Iceman. You were right he has some really cool stuff. But I can't find what I am really looking for, besides that Ford flathead. I got into 1:1 stock car racing on dirt tracks back in the spring of 1966. My heart really lies with those "modifieds" they built in Maine from the early 60's and into the 70's. Virtually all were homebuilt, which I love, and 90% of them were powered by Chevy small block engines of 301 cu in displacement. They made them from a 327 block with a 283 crank or a 283 block bored .125. The large bore to short stroke allowed them to rev like crazy. Never forget the sound of one turning 7500 rpm on the main straight.

All of those engines used looked identical from the outside. I am looking for someone who makes a small block chevy engine model with a single 4 bbl carb and manual trans or just the bellhousing. You could make one into just about any engine/racecar  that ran in that era that you wanted to model. I see lots of small blocks but most all have auto trans on them or such little detail you would not want to use them on something that is going to be looked closely at. I am not interested in blowers, twin turbos, common rail injection,  serpentine belts and the like, just would like to see something representative of my era. Maybe I am just too old fashioned.

MB

Duane Garner

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:01:43 AM »
Nope, you're not old fashioned, you're vintage and vintage is cool!

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 09:38:09 AM »
Duane,   

100 "upvotes" for that comment.  Thanks.

MB