Author Topic: Got to love Estate Auctions  (Read 2035 times)

TarheelRick

Got to love Estate Auctions
« on: March 19, 2022, 05:21:28 PM »
Attended an estate auction today, saw it advertised on AuctionZip.  Walked away with two original issue, completely restorable kits. One is a 1961 Ford Starliner in the original box with most of the decals and the instruction sheet.  The other is a 64 Ford Galaxie with working headlights (all those parts are in the kit) however it is suffering from tires eating the wheels.  Had to shell out....................$35 for both of them - at the right show both the boxes are worth that. Also picked up some HO scale train pieces. didn't really want them but the other bidder left me hanging at $25, and got a grass seed spreader, almost new for $15.  Really good day.  Once I get the pictures reduced, I will post some of them.  Both have been brush-painted, also notice the hood clip in the '64, the '61 uses a rubber band.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 05:36:28 PM by TarheelRick »
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Got to love Estate Auctions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:26:24 PM »
Nice score! Thx for the pix.

Tom

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:55:08 PM »
Great score. I have attended hundreds of yard sales, auctions and estate sales. Never see much of anything like this. Just out of curiosity what are the HO gauge RR pieces you picked up?  That's another hobby of mine.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 09:31:13 PM »
...Any plans on restoring the Galaxies?  a lucky score indeed :)   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
I am planning on leaving the 61 Starliner as is, just a good cleanup and maybe try to polish some of the brushstrokes out of it.  The '64 will probably be modernized with a newer set of wheels, different paint, and Molotow rather than PLA silver.  The '64 came apart flawlessly with just a break on the tabs that hold the rear of the windshield piece in place, no biggie.  It is now soaking in the purple pond, checked it yesterday and the paint was still intact, may have to rethink the paint removal; not sure what type paint it is.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.