Author Topic: Tired of building models ? Ok then ..........  (Read 8378 times)

john2

Tired of building models ? Ok then ..........
« on: March 03, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
 :) Help me figure this out.

Over the years, I have built several race shop dioramas. I always do 3 sides, leaving the front open.  Each one was to be the last, but hey, what is one more ?

This one, a small backyard Saturday night operation,  is to have only 2 sides :  The back wall, which will actually be the side, and the left wall, which will actually be the front.   Are you with me ?  The floor will be 12" ( front ) x 17" ( side )..

I am planning an overhead door in the down position of the left (front)  wall.

Google gives me many different size doors, from single car to very wide commercial.  Very confusing for my purposes.  This is  to be only  one car wide, with adequate walking space each side.

So, what I need to know ultimately, is what size the  door should be, and the ceiling height would be   in 1/25.

Or, maybe I should just eyeball it, and go on.

Thanks.       

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Lefturns75

Re: Tired of building models ? Ok then ..........
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
Go the easy way and just use 1/2 inch = 1 foot.  An 8 foot wall would be 4 inches.  Those are the numbers I used to build this one and it will display 1/24-1/25 very well.

Michael F

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:37 PM »
John,
i like your idea of a race shop diorama.
I´m building a junkyard diorama with restauration shop only for old, dented and worn out stockcars and modifieds.
I don´t have a clue about the real dimensions of a door for a shop. I thought it has to be wide and high
enough to make a hauler with racecar on it goes thru. The tall door of my shop is 5" wide and 5" high.
The inside height of the ceiling is 6 1/2" at the front and 6" at the rear because of the roofslope.
The dimensions of the shop are similar to yours. My shop is 12" front and 12" side.
Here are few pics of it, the bare brickwork:

how it looks currently on a baseplate wich shows the final size of the junkyard
(the roof is removable to take a look and fotos of the inside):

The brown areas should replicate some dirt (not the final color).

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:00:13 PM by Michael F »
Greetings from Germany!

Michael F

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »
Wow Lefturns, your shop diorama is a dream !!

I hope my shop turns out almost as nice as yours.
Greetings from Germany!

john2

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM »
 :) Thanks, guys, for the information. 

My previous shops' walls have been about 4 1/2 inches tall, and I am wanting this shop's walls to be higher.  So, Mike, 5 inches wide looks good, but maybe I will go a little taller.   Although I will not be making the track for the door, I do want to allow space for it. 

75 ( Larry Phillips ) I have lots of garage props, but will use only enough to say   " working garage. "  Dust problems, you know. 

We will see how it goes.   ;D
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4