Author Topic: 1963 Chevy  (Read 42450 times)

MarkJ

Re: 1963 Chevy
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
Thanks George, David, and Rett. I'm glad you could figure out that it was a steering box. Its kinda hard to recognize it as such. I still have tie rods, pitman arms, idler arm, oil cooler , oil filter mount  , battery, steering shaft, brake master cylinder, and wiper motor to go. Then the chassis should be complete and I can move on to the interior.

Lefturns75

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »
After I have mashed my fingers on the real thing a dozen or more times I can tell its a steering box in almost any scale.  Well, maybe not 1/43, my eyes are not that good any more.  99.9% of the time your scratch-bashed parts look better than kit stuff.  You just keep cutting and gluing, I know what it is.  This stuff is Super, Tex.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 02:07:33 PM »
Mark...your doing your excellent fab work and I'm really enjoying watching you do it. Great work . I'm looking forward to the next installment....
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
Thanks, George and Gary. Getting the suspension together is kinda challenging. I have no pictures of a 63 nascar chevy front suspension from underneath the car, so I'm kinda guessing at it. There will be something there, but probably not very accurate.

Grt222

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
Nice work so far mark. I've been watching and learning on this one from the start. Keep it up.

MarkJ

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 05:43:58 PM »
Thanks, Tony. I really appreciate the feedback.

MarkJ

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:29 AM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:28:29 PM by MarkJ »

MarkJ

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
Whew! I'm glad this is "just a shelfie" build! Why do my "best" efforts not quite equal your "shelfie" Mark?  ::) ;D

Cmon , David. I have seen your work and I know that is not true. If I had bought the revell kit I wouldn't be doing any of this stuff. If you look at the rear axle and the drive shaft you know its a shelfie.

MarkJ

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:31:29 PM by MarkJ »

Lefturns75

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
I think it can be said that you have successfully polished a turd.  You have taken a crappy kit and transformed it into a jewel.  Shucks, I bet you could walk out in the field on a hot day and kick a fresh turd and end up with a clean shoe.  Since you have the skills to make all this stuff, I say use those skills.  You do and do it well.   I guess you know that I will EXPECT to see this sort of stuff on all your future builds.    Scratch on, Supertex, Scratch on.

Gary Davis

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »
I think it can be said that you have successfully polished a turd.  You have taken a crappy kit and transformed it into a jewel.  Shucks, I bet you could walk out in the field on a hot day and kick a fresh turd and end up with a clean shoe.  Since you have the skills to make all this stuff, I say use those skills.  You do and do it well.   I guess you know that I will EXPECT to see this sort of stuff on all your future builds.    Scratch on, Supertex, Scratch on.
I'm all in with what LT75 said Mark.... you are really doing a GREAT job on this one. You're hitting the mark(no pun intended) on how to use shapes and material to make something look exactly like a 1/1 subject. It sure is fun to watch.

LOLOLOL....Hey LT75...man..it's been years since I've ran out into a field and kicked a fresh cow pie! Last time I tried that I was about 12 and at my Great Grandfathers ranch( Gerber, Northern Ca).. Ran out in the field(about 5 acres) were there was only one tree...in the middle of course. I didn't see Boss( Gramps' BULL...with big horns) hanging out way over by the barn. He saw me and headed in my direction pretty darn fast...cutting me off from the ranch house. I headed for the tree and got there and climbed that thing pretty damn fast...I'll tell ya. He had me tree'd for at least 3 hrs. I saw my brother by the fence and was screaming at him to get help...all he did was laugh!! LOL Thanks for sparking a great memory there LT75...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2018, 07:33:26 AM »
Thanks guys. George as far as scratching every build from now on, I guess it depends on the kit. When I bought this kit, at a model car show,  it was sealed so I did not realize how basic it was. I will try to buy kits in the future that aren't like this one. I know what you mean about bulls Gary. We stayed in a bed and breakfast cabin once in Burton,Texas (it was more just bed than breakfast) and woke up to a herd of cows and bulls surrounding the little house we were staying in. Luckily they spent most of their time down by the stock pond about a quarter mile away from the house. We had gotten there the night before, and did not see any cow patties, but in the daylight there were plenty of them you had to dodge.

Dirtman

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
I grew up on a farm in southwest Wisconsin, stepped in a few for sure. These stories cracked me up. Got thrown off a horse when I was around 11 - 12 yrs old. Landed on my keister right smack dead center in a big one! I still remember my grandpa laughing once he knew I wasn't hurt!
Rett

Gary Davis

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
Man Mark....being in a little shack out in the middle of a herd of Cows/Bulls isn't a very cool bed and breakfast thing for me. But...if one is a Cowboy..then he might be right at home waking up to that GREAT HOME GROWN smell and then eating breakfast. Then ya had to dodge all that COW art in the yard. I'll bet you will never forget that Bed/Breakfast spot..eh?

MarkJ

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
Man Mark....being in a little shack out in the middle of a herd of Cows/Bulls isn't a very cool bed and breakfast thing for me. But...if one is a Cowboy..then he might be right at home waking up to that GREAT HOME GROWN smell and then eating breakfast. Then ya had to dodge all that COW art in the yard. I'll bet you will never forget that Bed/Breakfast spot..eh?

Gary, that town is right in the heart of one of the best antique areas in the country, and my wife loves antiques. That's how we ended up there. Luckily I lost my sense of smell back in 1992, so the smell was no issue for me, and I don't remember my wife complaining about it too much either. Believe it or not, we had a lot of fun there, and stayed there many times.