Author Topic: 1963 Chevy  (Read 42473 times)

MarkJ

Re: 1963 Chevy
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
Got to agree on the Dremel. When I first got back into modeling seriously around 2000, I shot out and got an electric Dremel "MultiPro" deluxe set with the foot and a half long gray box with ALL the attachments.
The first body I used it on was a JoHan Petty Superbird and as Mark said, it got away from me and I MANGLED that baby! Decided pretty quick that it had more power than I had finesse and went out and got the battery-operated blue "MiniMite" model. It is considerably more manageable but will still get away from you if you're not careful.  As a result I use the battery model to rough out some things, but much prefer the control of the sanding sticks and scalpels. The electric model is great for some around the house jobs but hasn't touched a model since that first one.

John
Like you said , John. I sometimes use my dremel for areas that I can't hurt the model but hardly ever. I just don't trust myself with it . Plus i hate the high pitch loud sound it makes. Drives me nuts.

MarkJ

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »

Lefturns75

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
Supertex, I find your build threads very satisfying and enjoyable.  It makes my day to tune in and watch you take a Precise-O knife and sanding sticks and turn a blob of plastic into a museum display piece.  You have a great passion to build and craft the details in a build and you do it without all that PE and aftermarket stuff stuck on everywhere.  Yep, you're the King of Cut, Squire of Scribe and the Sultan of Scratch.   I would love to lock you in a room with a pile of Evergreen shapes, kit parts and odds and ends and see what you gloo up when I let you out.  I'm gonna keep watching as I am sure are all the others will and wait for the finished jewel.  Great work here and keep it coming. 

MarkJ

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Supertex, I find your build threads very satisfying and enjoyable.  It makes my day to tune in and watch you take a Precise-O knife and sanding sticks and turn a blob of plastic into a museum display piece.  You have a great passion to build and craft the details in a build and you do it without all that PE and aftermarket stuff stuck on everywhere.  Yep, you're the King of Cut, Squire of Scribe and the Sultan of Scratch.   I would love to lock you in a room with a pile of Evergreen shapes, kit parts and odds and ends and see what you gloo up when I let you out.  I'm gonna keep watching as I am sure are all the others will and wait for the finished jewel.  Great work here and keep it coming.

Thank you George, but you're way too kind. This is just a way to keep an old man busy during the day so he does'nt go nuts.

Lefturns75

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
Well, if it works for you, do it.  I was not that lucky, as now I had to learn to type with my feet.  I can't get my hands to the key board with this goofy jacket they make me wear.  I don't think I'M the one thats crazy, I think its the guy that designed this jacket they make me wear.  Gotta go, I hear those guys in the white coats unlocking the door……………………...

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Well, if it works for you, do it.  I was not that lucky, as now I had to learn to type with my feet.  I can't get my hands to the key board with this goofy jacket they make me wear.  I don't think I'M the one thats crazy, I think its the guy that designed this jacket they make me wear.  Gotta go, I hear those guys in the white coats unlocking the door……………………...
George...Ya know...I look forward to all the responses that you post....You certainly have a GREAT sense of humor my friend!!!! You make me smile big or outright laugh. My wife asks me what the heck I'm laughing at...She thinks I'M CRAZY...LOL What color are those coats????
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:11:49 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

sentsat71

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:27 AM »
always wondered why they're called STRAIGHT JACKETS........?????????????????!!  :o ??? ::)
Ed K.

MarkJ

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
I needed a piece of plastic that was kinda bubble shaped to fill in the back corners of the interior tub. Something to replicate the inner rear fenders that protrude into the tub area on both sides. I found this bubble pack for tomatoes that filled the bill.

I used a tube cut in half to replicate the drive shaft tunnel at the rear of the tub.

Gary Davis

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Man Mark...you keep blow'n me away bud...I see you look for GOOD PARTS in the same parts houses as I do! LOL..

What kind of body putty do you use? Do you thin it At all?? You use a lot of it and it really looks like it lays down smooth and it easy to sand. I use 2 part evercoat and The red single stage tube Bondo. The Evercoat is easy to sand but...if ya get it to hot then it will set up REALLY FAST. The Bondo shrinks and cracks reall easy...soooo I'm looking for something in between I guess...Kinda both of both worlds you might say...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2018, 06:07:09 AM »
Man Mark...you keep blow'n me away bud...I see you look for GOOD PARTS in the same parts houses as I do! LOL..

What kind of body putty do you use? Do you thin it At all?? You use a lot of it and it really looks like it lays down smooth and it easy to sand. I use 2 part evercoat and The red single stage tube Bondo. The Evercoat is easy to sand but...if ya get it to hot then it will set up REALLY FAST. The Bondo shrinks and cracks reall easy...soooo I'm looking for something in between I guess...Kinda both of both worlds you might say...

Gary, I use Tamiya white putty because it is available at hobby lobby. the only draw back to it is, if  you put it on too thick,it has some shrinkage and also it takes a long time to set. You end up having to add a second coat,so to speak. But once it does cure completely,it does sand out nicely,and I don't really have a cracking problem with it,unless it is put in an area that might flex. I tried to use the evercoat stuff but could never get the ratio right of hardener to putty and also the fumes are not pleasant or safe if you want to use it inside the house. Also the evercoat would get air pockets in it that you would have to fill with one part putty. I use to use squadron putty but Hobby Lobby no longer sells it.

MarkJ

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

Gary Davis

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »
Thanks for the putty info Mark. I hear you on the ratio for the evercoat. I mixed to hot one time and never got it on the project before it started to set up. LOL Ya know...I might try some of that Tamiya putty. Do you thin it at ALL?? 

I'm really liking the way this interior is coming along.

Lefturns75

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
Gary, Im glad you asked Supertex about the putty, I keep forgetting to ask him that.  I get all sidetracked when he builds a part out of nothing.  I can't wait to see how he scratch-builds the grease for the ball joints.   I will have to round up a tube of the Tamiya putty, my vocabulary might improve if I throw away this tube of Squadron white. 

MarkJ

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the putty info Mark. I hear you on the ratio for the evercoat. I mixed to hot one time and never got it on the project before it started to set up. LOL Ya know...I might try some of that Tamiya putty. Do you thin it at ALL?? 

I'm really liking the way this interior is coming along.

Gary, I don't thin it at all. Just use it right out of the tube. Usually takes 12 hours to cure out, so you can sand it. I try making adding putty, the last thing I do, before I quit working for the day, so the next morning it will be ready to sand.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:08:44 PM by MarkJ »

MarkJ

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
Gary, Im glad you asked Supertex about the putty, I keep forgetting to ask him that.  I get all sidetracked when he builds a part out of nothing.  I can't wait to see how he scratch-builds the grease for the ball joints.   I will have to round up a tube of the Tamiya putty, my vocabulary might improve if I throw away this tube of Squadron white.

Ok , George. You lost me now, on the squadron putty, hindering your vocabulary. Your going to have to splain that to me.