Author Topic: Freddy Fryar  (Read 6707 times)

MarkJ

Freddy Fryar
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
I was wondering if any one here is familiar with this driver. He used to come to Meyer speedway, in Houston, every now and then, back in the seventy's, and I think he drove a 65 Chevelle. Whenever Meyer speedway would have a special race, he would come and totally out class all the local drivers, and take the trophys and money back to Alabama. His car looked and sounded so much better than the locals it was ridiculous. I would love to build a replica of his car but sadly I never took my camera to the track back then which I think it was an instamatic anyway, and probably wouldn't have worked very well. If anyone has a photo of his 65 Chevelle and could share it here I would really appreciate it.

Lefturns75

Re: Freddy Fryar
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »
Supertex was it this one?

john2

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:14 AM »
 :) Mark, you are in luck.  I have been a racing fan for 64 years, and Freddy Fryar was my all time, hands down, number one favorite driver.  I saw him race many times, talked to him several times, and sent him two 1/16  models of his cars.

I am leaving for the Memphis show this morning, thus busy getting off on the trip.  I can give you much info after I get back.  In the mean time, go to www.misschicken.com and look under the asphalt cars section.  Look under the numbers 47,  48, 41, and 14 among others. 

Also, look under the section called Early Alabama Racers, and look for his name.  Many, many pictures there.
This particular Chevelle, had an orange bottom, silver top and chrome numbers with black outline.  Look for his picture number 116. 

Good luck with your project.  I know it will be a beauty.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:24:38 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

MarkJ

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:49:09 PM »
Supertex was it this one?

George, to tell you the truth, I don't remember but I'm thinking it was mostly white and it seemed like a team car to Neil Bonnet who would also come  to out class the locals.

MarkJ

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Mark, do you remember what color or number the car was?

David , I don't remember the number but like I told George I think it was a team car to Neil Bonnets.

MarkJ

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
:) Mark, you are in luck.  I have been a racing fan for 64 years, and Freddy Fryar was my all time, hands down, number one favorite driver.  I saw him race many times, talked to him several times, and sent him two 1/16  models of his cars.

I am leaving for the Memphis show this morning, thus busy getting off on the trip.  I can give you much info after I get back.  In the mean time, go to www.misschicken.com and look under the asphalt cars section.  Look under the numbers 47,  48, 41, and 14 among others. 

Also, look under the section called Early Alabama Racers, and look for his name.  Many, many pictures there.
This particular Chevelle, had an orange bottom, silver top and chrome numbers with black outline.  Look for his picture number 116. 

Good luck with your project.  I know it will be a beauty.

Thanks , John for the link. Hopefully when I see all the pictures it will jog my memory.

john2

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 04:23:34 AM »
 :)  Welcome.  Freddy married again after his retirement from driving, and now lives in Cassville, Missouri.  He still visits friends, and shows up at  car shows now and then in Jackson. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 04:26:24 AM by john2 »

MarkJ

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »
So far none of the pictures ring a bell. For some reason, I'm thinking it was mostly a white car, but it was back in the early seventys, so who knows? That was a long time ago, even before I was married. I asked my wife if she remembers going to Meyer Speedway with me, back then, and she says she does, and she remembers the name Freddy Fryar,  but she doesn't remember anything about the car.

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
This one help any Supertex?  I have no idea who owns the print.

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
I don't know , George. But that one and the 41 car you posted at the top are both beautiful race cars. If I could find out what car he was driving the summer of 1973, that would probably be the one he had at Meyer speedway when I watched him, and that would be the one I should probably try to do.  I need to find something like "racing reference" for these kind of cars that shows the results for Meyer Speedway from that summer.

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
Mark, the 41 photo is from 73.  I saw him twice that year in that chevelle and once in a red 66 Nova.  He drove a number of different cars so heck, just pick one.   I call those cars from that era "Moment in Time" cars.  They changed so often it is hard to do a replica as every photo will show something different even on the same car so you almost have to do the car from one race.  Next week, it wouldn't look the same. 

Hondo

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
I found this one that says 1973 Governor's Cup...... (Now held at New Smyrna Speedway)

This one is Nashville, 1974. 41 Fryar, 84 Darrell Waltrip

Here's FF receiving an award prior to the start of the All American 400 in Nashville in 2016.
(Orange shirt with microphone)
IIRC, he was track champion at Nashville, maybe more than once.

And below at the 1983 World Crown 300 in Jefferson, GA.

Then there's this one that says it is at Jackson (Clinton), MS in 1971..........

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:05:52 PM by Hondo »

john2

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
 :)  As mentioned earlier, go to miss chicken and run through his personal collection.  His whole career seems to be listed pretty much chronologically.  Maybe you can figure out about 1973,

The black 47 shown above was his brother's, ( Bobby )  and he had either borrowed or bought it at that time. 

MarkJ

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I think from everything I can gather, that the 41 at the top of the thread, that George posted, is the way I should go. If anyone has any color pictures of that car,  a grille shot, and a front fender shot, of the contengencies, I would really appreciate it.

john2

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 05:13:36 AM »
 :)  Hope it works out for you, Mark.  The one George posted was orange with a silver top, and chrome number. It is the same one Hondo posted with the trophy girl at Jackson.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:16:23 AM by john2 »