Author Topic: 34 Jalopy  (Read 10372 times)

thirdgearspeedshop

34 Jalopy
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:45:59 AM »
This is a distraction build from my late model Camaro. I recently attended the Jalopy Showdown at Lincoln Speedway in Abbostown PA and I came home inspired to build a 34 Ford Jalopy. My inspiration is this photo dated 1953. A bare bones California Jalopy. I'm using an AMT body on a Revell 37 pickup frame and running gear. I cut the center X member out of the frame, pinched the frame rails to fit the body and reattached them. I also relocated the rear crossmember to postition the rear wheels correctly. The wheels are a combination of AMT 36 center sections and Revell 37 outer sections. The backing plates and radiator are 40 Ford resin items.  I scaratchbuilt all the crash bars from 1.6mm rod and the toe board from sheet styrene. The seat is a resin item I've had for years. I mounted the 37 steering box on top of the frame using a beefy bracket mounted to the outside of the frame and detailed with HO scale railroad bolts.

Inspiration

Removing the X member

Pinching the frame and reattaching X member with rear cross member removed

Modified frame on left. Stock 37 frame on right

AMT 36 Ford inner sections Revell 37 Ford outer sections

Resin backing plates (40 Ford)

Cage almost complete

Mock up of body with radiator and hood in place

Detail of 37 Ford steering box

Resin military style seat

Detail of rear bumper and crash bar
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:10:26 AM by thirdgearspeedshop »

TarheelRick

Re: 34 Jalopy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:32:16 PM »
You didn't say, but I am going to guess it will be Flathead powered.  Really like your collection of parts to put this one together.  How about a tutorial on how you did those wheels.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
Jalopies are the most fun builds possible since there are literally no rules. That era saw anything and everything and really was the golden era in many ways. Nice start on this jalopy!

I totally agree. You can get creative without worrying about being perfect. crude welds, clunky brackets and bars, minimal safety considerations. I love the raw homebuilt nature of these things. It's been a blast so far.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:41:54 PM »
You didn't say, but I am going to guess it will be Flathead powered.  Really like your collection of parts to put this one together.  How about a tutorial on how you did those wheels.

Yes, basically the entire 37 pickup will be used without cab or bed. So it will be powered by a stock 37 stock Flathead with aftermarket headers and a stromburg carb. The wheels were made by taking the 37 Revell wheels and enlarging the center hole all the way to the small holes around the outer rim. I then took a 36 wheel and sanded it down to the edge just beyond the 5 lugs. carefully fitting and sanding as I went until the center section fit snug into the outer section. I then drilled a hole and added a piece of styrene rod into the center.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:44:03 PM by thirdgearspeedshop »

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Hey Rick, I believe Ron Coon has some nice resin rims that look like this also.

Ron's 37 wheels are very nice. I have used them on another build and would highly recommend them. In the spirit of the homegrown jalopy, I chose to cobble mine together from the junkyard…I mean parts box.

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
Excellent build in process . Keep us posted on your progress.
I really like the way you are going about building this jalopy.

Bob

john2

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
Jalopy cars are among my favorites too.  This will be a good one I am sure.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
Update:
After moving the rear crossmember forward, I realized the rear radius rods' mounting position on the torque tube needed to be moved back and the rods shortened. It's a hack job, but it fits now, and hopefully the ugly welds will not be noticed under the car. Pinching the frame also presented the problem of header clearance. I wanted to use the cool Fenton headers in the kit but I ended up making my own. I used evergreen rod and telescoped a piece of tube on the end, sanded it even to give it a slight megaphone shape. I'm happy with the headers AND now I have a set of those cool Fenton headers for a future build. I also made upper (not pictured) and lower radiator hoses and mounted the front lever shocks. It's getting close to having some paint on it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:10:45 AM by thirdgearspeedshop »

Dirtman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »
Very cool stuff. I learned a couple of things here!!! That makes this one even better for me!

Rett

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »
Can anybody tell me why the door windows on these kits aren’t completely opened up? That web at the rear of the door windows is puzzling to me. I have several versions of this kit, and only the very first one had the windows opened up.

Olderndirt

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
Can anybody tell me why the door windows on these kits aren’t completely opened up? That web at the rear of the door windows is puzzling to me. I have several versions of this kit, and only the very first one had the windows opened up.

Olderndirt

It looks like the 5 window coupes were designed that way. I'm not sure what the thinking was regarding the design though. This is a pic I took from the H.A.M.B

Olderndirt

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »
That is very interesting. I also wonder what the reasoning was for such a design. It must have been very common to remove this, because I don’t recall seeing this on any hot rods.

Olderndirt

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 07:52:59 AM »
That is very interesting. I also wonder what the reasoning was for such a design. It must have been very common to remove this, because I don’t recall seeing this on any hot rods.

Olderndirt

You can see it on this Rolling Bones built 5 window at Race of Gentlemen:

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
A few more details added before I paint the frame:

I made some ribbed water hoses (still need to paint them) and I fabbed up a battery box behind the drivers seat. I also added friction shocks to the front and rear. The front ones are from the Revell 37 Pickup and the rear ones are from the Revell 29 pickup.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 08:27:00 PM »
Good looking old jalopy!  Your fab work is sure nice clean work.  I like those radiator hoses.  Are they just wire wrapped around the originals?  The effect is very cool!🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky