Author Topic: 34 Jalopy  (Read 10370 times)

Olderndirt

Re: 34 Jalopy
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
Yes, I’ve seen both, but of course the remembering where is the trick. You might try Fireball, they do 3D carbs, that are out of this world. But, I believe they make tires and wheels also.

Olderndirt

Fordguy01

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »
WOW WOW WOW! That is one beautiful jalopy third. I Watched many of these type of race cars growing up and you have nailed it perfectly. That is some beautiful fab work you have done.  Also on the question of that web on the trailing edge of the window, that web is found on the 34's as the 33's did not have them.   A friend of mine just completed a 34 Ford street rod and I asked him the difference between the two and that was just one of the differences the other is the 33 front grill is more abrupt and the 34 was more laid back.  For clarity I also checked two of my reference books 1) Ford Chronicle by James M. Flammang, David L.Lewis and the auto editors of consumer guide, pages 76 -78 for 33's pages 79 - 81 for 34's and 2) Cars of the classic 30's by the auto editors of consumer guide, pages 139-140 for 33's and pages 179-180 for 34's.  About the only models that did not have that web were roadsters, woodies, phaetons and trucks.   Hope this clarifies things for you guys.  While I'm here I want to wish you all a very happy and safe 4th of July, keep all fingers intact and get out and support your local race track.

Al     

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 09:49:11 AM »
Thanks Al, Those old jalopies are a lot of fun to build!

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »
There's not too much left before this one is ready for the track. I did notice that the 37 truck frame sits pretty high in the front. Not a huge issue for an old jalopy, but in retrospect I should have put a model A front crossmember in there.

David Bogard

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
Alright, now you've got me thinking that my next build will definitely be a jalopy! I've always been partial to them and seeing this one just makes me want to fire one up!!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
Alright, now you've got me thinking that my next build will definitely be a jalopy! I've always been partial to them and seeing this one just makes me want to fire one up!!

GO FOR IT! they are super fun

Alan Barton

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 01:55:27 AM »
OK guys, the web on the 33 closed car doors is a very neat trick to allow ventilation.  I cant remember if you crack the window crank in the opposite direction or just a little bit in the normal direction but it makes the glass move backwards before it moves downwards.  That way you get an inch or so gap at the front of the window that gives you some ventilation on hot days.If you didn't have the web you would always have a gap around the back edge of the glass.  Beautifully simple engineering from nearly a hundred years ago!

Loving your jalopy, third gear, but, yeah, I'd definitely drop that front a tad.  Not that there wasn't a jalopy that high somewhere but she would look a lot racier!
Cheers
Alan

Olderndirt

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the explanation on that ‘33 window web Alan. That has bothered me for a long time, and nobody seemed to know what the purpose was.
 I agree the front is a bit high, but that was not unknown back in the day. What I don’t see very often in models of old jalopies, and early modifieds, from back east, is cars radically jacked up on the right side, with much larger tires on the rear,and right front. The fronts were almost always leaned inward at the top of the tire as well. It likely is that most of the tracks in the Northern part of California are short in the extreme make these modifications necessary for running at speed.

Olderndirt

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
Update: I built some sweet little hot rod headers for this thing but they broke while installing the engine. (my dumb mistake). So since the engine was already in place I opted for these ugly flex headers. I actually like the home-brewed look of the flex tubes, as amateur as they are. They will get a fair amount of weathering after they are done.

TarheelRick

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
What did you use for those flex pipes?  Very nice build.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
What did you use for those flex pipes?  Very nice build.

I wrapped styrene rod with beading wire.

Dirtman

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
This is about as cool as they come. Awesome work man!!!

Rett

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
This one is done. I had to take it around the bullring for some hot laps before taking pics.  :)

triple97s

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Simply Fantastic !

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2019, 09:17:59 PM »
WOW, absolutely awesome build, Travis!!!  Actually this entire build thread reads like a tutorial on jalopy building and I thank you for that!!!  I’ve also been watching your YouTube videos!!!  Great channel and lots of awesome content!  I especially liked the video where you were talking about yourself and your modeling journey!!!  Good stuff!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky