Author Topic: Dirt modified underway (7/27 final update)  (Read 6282 times)

Hondo

Dirt modified underway (7/27 final update)
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
Well, got started on this one. Plenty of engineering (as the norm for me) to get the body I want on this chassis.
But, then found out the wife has to have important eye surgery next week. One to three weeks recovery for that.
Hope to get a little done on this rainy weekend........

I'm trying folks.........

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:53:55 PM by Hondo »

Hondo

Re: Current situation.........
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
A plasma cutter and welder would be nice to use on this one..........

:o

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Current situation......... Dirt modified underway
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
Great start, Jim!!!  I’m diggin the Vicky body!  Hope your wife’s surgery goes well!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Hondo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »
Slow going on this one as far as building goes. Lots of thinking, though.
Had to "chop, cut, rebuild" much so far.
Tub can't be higher than the bottom window sill, roll cage can't be too high, firewall (don't ask), had to move the engine forward to get the intake out in the open, that means a longer driveshaft and very close to radiator now, cut radiator down so hood fits lower, cut off the rear of the frame to get the body lower......
Make new wheel backs to pull the tires in closer to the body, redo the front shocks to make them look better.........
Wing ?? How do you make a wing ??  HA !!
Maybe I have been busy ??

Greg, thanks for asking about my wife. Surgery when well. She had to be face down, couldn't "look level or up" for 7 or 8 days due to "gas bubble" in her eye.
It was retina surgery. Thankfully, she's able to see again with that eye.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:18:37 PM by Hondo »

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 06:55:09 AM »
Mods looking good so far. Hope your wife is getting better.

Rett

Lefturns75

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Hondo Jimmy Ol buddy, you aint trying, you are Nail'n it!   I have seen lots of your completed rides before and I just sorta hangin' out until you finish this one, I am sure it is going to be Mo-Jamin' Bad Az.  I was never around this type car or got to watch any race but followed them in SCR mag for years.   Gloo, I say, Gloo it up son, its gonna be grand!

Take care of your Gal if you have one that's a keeper, they are hard to find.   I would have one myself if I had ever found one that could weld and back a trailer. 

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
I make the little tear drop wings like they used here, in the early days by first drawing the center, and sides, on paper. I cut the parts out, and tape them together to make sure everything looks right. I then take a copy of the parts, as many as will fit on a piece of paper, and outline the drawing with a Sharpie marker. I put the drawing in my scanner, and a sheet of paper thin styrene in my copier, and push the button. Out comes wing parts printed on styrene, ready to be cut out and assembled.

Olderndirt

Hondo

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
 :) Well, as ol' Rodney Dangerfield would say.......... "You guys are Alright !!"

Thanks for the good wishes for the wife, guys.
Lefty, I think she's a keeper, she ain't much for changing the oil, but she always tells me when it's time.
(She did make 2 pies yesterday)

I too, never saw such cars as these race, but wish I'd gone to Athens Speedway to see the Skeeters run.
OTD, thanks for the wing info too.

As for the wing.......
I was just kiddin'

Fordguy01

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »
Great start on this one Hondo.  I'll be watching the progress and by the way how much did you take out of the body to shorten it or did you not shorten it?  Lookin really good!

Al

Hondo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:59 AM »
Al,
I only shortened the body by cutting off a little of the cowl. I narrowed it by 1/4".  I cut the "B" post out and pie cut the rear of the body to drop the front of the top a bit. When I decided  to use this combination, I had to split it down the center of the firewall and top and fill it in. The front of the body would not fit over the Tobias chassis.
I'll probable radius the rear fender area for shock clearance.
It's becoming an engineering marvel......  ::)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:15:06 AM by Hondo »

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 01:58:45 PM »
One thing that was seen on early dirt, and pavement, modifieds out here on the left coast, that I haven’t seen on models from other regions, is safety chains on the back of the wings. They usually were attached to the center section of the wing, near where the rear support attached to the main body of the wing, and crossed over and anchored to the cage near the wing support on the opposite side of the car. So they were crossed between the wing supports. They were just to keep the wing attached to the car in catastrophic crashes.

Olderndirt

Olderndirt

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
Oh, I’m also pretty happy to see those blue valve covers, and the Ford spacing on the injector tubes.

Olderndirt

Hondo

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the wing/chain info, OTD. I'm not sure from what era this racer will be.
Not that I'm trying to be politically correct, just having fun building it.

As for the "blue" valve covers....... kinda happened by chance.
Not enough room in the back for a mag/distributor, so for clearance purposes, It'll be a Blue Oval motor.
Heck, I may paint something else blue  :-X

Charlie.D

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
LOOKING REAL GOOD IT was good to see you yesterday
Charlie Daniel

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 10:45:28 PM »
I’m thankful for your wife’s recovery and sight!  The model is looking really well done so far!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky