Author Topic: (FINAL UPDATE 10/19) Harry Fletcher 66 driven by Johnny Grum 1967 thru 69  (Read 6957 times)

Bob P.

I'm attempting a replica of the Harry Fletcher sidewinder driven by Johnny Grum.
The engine was offset to the left, with the driver to the extreme right. This was a unique car, that raced on dirt tracks in central Pa. and Md.

The car started out with a big block Ford, then later changed to a small block Chevy. I'm building the Chevy version.

I'm building this in 1/24th scale. I did build this car previously in 1/18th scale.

I'm using two sprint car frames cut in half, widened and lengthened.

Hosted on Fotki

This pictures shows the widened frame and a standard sprint car frame.

Hosted on Fotki

This pictures shows some modifications to the frame and wheels and tires.
I'm using the sprint car tires and Big Donkey resin wheels.

Hosted on Fotki
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:20:34 PM by Bob P. »

Lefturns75

Re: (On the bench) Harry Fletcher 66 driven by Johnny Grum 1967 thru 69
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 10:48:14 AM »
Keep the updates coming Bob, I am going to watch this for some ideas.  I am toying with an old AMT Watson roadster to convert to a Super but I think it will be a lot less work that what you are building.  How many bad words did you use fitting those chassis sides together?  It looks easy but I know it is not. 

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 11:53:09 AM »
Lefturns, I didn't use any bad words yet.

The hardest part for me is getting the proportions correct. As I look at my pictures, I'm not sure I lengthened the frame enough.
I'll just keep plugging away and see how it turns out.

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Well David, after doing a lot of measuring and calculating I'm going to go with what I have.
At the very most it might be short 2 MM on the wheelbase. from the firewall to the front wheels, it's slightly longer than my 1/18th scale build. I'm trying to use the sprint car tires, so all my mounting points don't need changed. The right rear sprint car tire is about 3 MM larger than a Big Donkey tire. The left rear is smaller than Big Donkey tires. The right rear sprint car tire is a little wide for this time period, but this car was radical.

On the number 6 build I did a while back, I had to make all new mounts for the front and rear axles. I mounted them solid with metal brackets in the middle of the axles, out of sight. So when I get further along with the build we'll see how it turns out. I do know that too long is usually better than too short. To change it I would need to build a new frame.

Bob

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
Sounds like an interesting build, but for some reason I cannot open the pictures.  I get "Site cannot be found" when I click on the url.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:43:14 AM »
Well David, if you could see the wheelbase was too short way down in Arkansas, it had to be too short.

You were correct and I had to give in and do a lot of work to lengthen the wheelbase.
I lengthened it 5 more MM. In scale it's around 100 inches now.

Axles also lengthened on this photo.

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

TarheelRick

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
Technology is amazing, the pictures magically appeared today.  That is some amazing work you are doing, looking forward to more updates.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
This is a very cool project Bob. I think the first wheel base was a tad short also. If I remember right...most of the Supers had a wheel base from 98-102 inches. Don't quote me on that. You sure have my building juices going on this one... Looking forward to you next update for sure....
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

PNWfrank

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 06:05:05 PM »
The wheelbase for modifieds/super modifieds varies around the country. The midwest modifieds are mostly 100 inch cars. The supers that raced where I grew up (New Mexico) were around 85 to 88 inch cars, this matched up with Arizona and Southern CA cars which made for some great car counts during special events! It also matches up with most sprint cars around the country, that's why Bob needed to lengthen his sprint car frame to get to 100 inches. Bob, that will be a great project, there weren't many offset dirt cars around

Frank
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 06:11:54 PM by PNWfrank »

Bob P.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments and interest in this project.

This one is moving slow. I think my next build has to be something easy.

Small update below.

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
Another small update.

Aluminum panels fabricated, behind seat, firewall and rock guard combined, both side panels and frame brace in place on the left side of frame above the engine.

Hosted on Fotki

Dash and top frame rail shown.

Hosted on Fotki

Front view shows firewall and combined rock guard. Cut out on left for drivers feet to extend forward beside engine and under headers.

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

Marty W

That looks like it's going to be a nice one! Good subject.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
You're doing some GREAT fab work Bob.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

Another small update,

Finished making a couple more body panels using thin aluminum.

Hosted on Fotki

Front bumper and screen installed.

Hosted on Fotki

Left side view.

Hosted on Fotki

Engine, dash panel and tires and wheels.
Tires and wheels from Big Donkey resin.

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

Bob

BobD

This looks great Bob!  Not something I would attempt - keep the pics coming!