Author Topic: Hangin at the mortuary  (Read 7393 times)

Olderndirt

Hangin at the mortuary
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »
Yup, I think I’m gonna start hangin at the mortuary where the conversation is a little livelier. Really, I felt pretty good this morning until I read the highlights of this forum. After hearing about throwing one collection away, and some marital woes, and a little dose of lombago blues, I was ready to open an artery. Ain’t nobody building nothin? Looking at nascar cookie cutter models, or even ( shutter) show car models would be better than this.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

Re: Hangin at the mortuary
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »
So kick things off and show us what YOU are building.  How bout some gloo bombs or even a few pics of yer stash. 

john2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
 :)  I have these going :

' 55 Chevy post late model
race shop diorama
Rebuild of 1/16 ' 30 Ford sedan modified special
'64 Plymouth grand national
'66 Nova late model
'75 Dodge Dart late model

That enough for you  guys ?

After the first of the year, I will try again to learn Flickr so I can show you.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
   Let me try and coax you back off of the ledge......
  As far as Rett's (Dirtman) collection goes, I think he is trying to indicate that he doesn't have it in him self to simply throw it all away...a few viable options where offered up. Personally, I do hope that if he decides to sell off a portion of his collection that he , at least, offers us a chance here at this forum to buy before selling to some where else.  I too have bought from Freds Model World...I would much rather buy from Rett direct than to have to buy later from Freds Model World if he decides to go that route.....Nothing against Freds Model World, but there's no guarantee that what he has listed is still available....apparently there are quite a few builders that shop there.

As far as the martial woes.....I commend Dr. Kerry for speaking up and not keeping something like that bottled up inside....that can be a deadly poison....that took guts.

As far as small dose of lumbago blues ....sure, that's life.... we're all human , good days, bad days....feeling great, feeling lousy......things going your way,you against the world.  I'm not one to divulge much about how things are going with me personally, I'm more with the stick to topic at hand crowd, but I'm taking a doctor prescribed med for my type II Diabetes that has me all out of sorts.....Im seeing my doctor in a few weeks and telling him it just isn't worth the side effects that I'm experiencing....I'm kind of stalled with the 1/8th scale '56 Ford pick up project because of this. >:(

Now for something GOOD. :D
  Despite what I just said, I'm still getting some quality time in with the 1/8th scale '56 Ford pick-up...albeit not as much as I want due to the previously described issue...my wife Amy has been supportive though , asking questions about my on line research and engaging me in conversations about the goings on in the hobby room.  I have figured out how to set the desired ride height after installing the strut rods and doing a front end alignment that took up a few hours.  I figured bigger meant it would be easier, I figured wrong.
  While doing some on line research for the '56 Ford pick up build, I managed to get side tracked and down the Rabbit hole I went.  While in the internet web abyss , I found the answer to a question that I have long had....just how do you make a Ford unibody platform (Falcons thru Granadas) into something that can stand up to the rigors of dirt track racing?  Believe it or not its something that I have never dealt with, but here recently I picked up a Maverick body from Gator that I hope to get built using a mid 60's Mustang unibody platform now that I know how they where made race worthy.       
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:52:38 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments Brian.  Hang in there and good luck with that BIG pickup truck. I can't even imagine working in that scale. I like to keep it small so you can't see my mistakes!

tb

Dirtman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:09:26 PM »
Rest assured gentlemen, I would definitely offer things here before anywhere else. Right now, they are still packed away while I make up my mind what to do. Thanks to all who contributed their ideas. They all are being considered...

Rett

Marty W

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:24:27 AM »
I agree with Lefturns on this one. We would like to see what you are building, O.n.d.

As for me, I got side tracked for a time, but I am back on cars, too. I don't build very fast, as my time is split about 6 different ways! I am working on a Southern California jalopy, early 60s era '32 Ford sedan, Hot Rod class.

Photos to come soon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:28:11 AM by Marty W »

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:49:07 PM »
I'm sorry OND, I have been tied up caring for my wife who's cancer returned with a vengeance.  She's now in hospice and down to the last few days of life.  I presume that I will build again at some point but not right now. 
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
 :)  So very sorry, Greg.  Wish there was something I could say that would help.  Prayers for you all.

One day it will help you to build again.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 01:19:21 AM »
We're keeping her comfortable and praying for our entire family.  John, your prayers are enough and wanted and deeply appreciated.  Tom has been over to my place every weekend for the past month working on projects that have needed done for awhile.  Kathy's family and mine have been so very supporting while I am my wife's main caregiver.  Brother Jim and another friend from Montana are both here to help as well.  She's in the hands of Jesus and it will be a blessing when she goes home and her lifelong pain will end forever.  Thanks for your kind words, John.  They mean a lot to me.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:39:22 AM »
  :(  I cannot imagine what it must be like.  Best wishes all around.

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »
Greg,

You and your wife are in my prayers....

While not in my immediate family, I lost a cousin a number of years ago, who survived the first round of cancer only to have it come back just a few years later, and yes, she passed on.
But she and her family lived here in Iowa and I was in SoCal at the time.

Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »
Lost   my wife to brain cancer 22 years ago. I know what you are going thru. Hang in there, it's not an easy road, but you will do what you have to do!! My sympathys are with you...

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Greg,

I will be praying for you and your family as you go through this difficult time.

Bob

Olderndirt

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »
Greg;

My deepest sympathy to you, during this sad and stressful time. Not knowing your situation I didn’t mean to make things harder for you and yours.
 Unfortunately I live in an area where other modelers are almost nonexistent, as are model kits, and hobby shops. I rely on the fine modelers on this forum, to keep me interested, and building. You notice it didn’t say finishing, that is the big issue for me.
 Thanks for you inspiration.

Olderndirt