Author Topic: "Rat" Lane  (Read 2649 times)

Hondo

"Rat" Lane
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »
Do you guys remember a late model racer named "Rat" Lane? I know John2 will.
Pretty good racer from years ago.

Charles Clifton Lane, “Rat Lane”, of Statesville, NC passed away at Gordon Hospice House on Wednesday, March 20, 2019. He was 81 years of age.

He was born on November 15, 1937 in Pritchard, Alabama, county of Mobile, to Charles Edward Lane, of McGhee, Arkansas and Irene Blake, of Richwood, West Virginia. He graduated from Vigor High School in 1955 and had worked at the paper mill over the years. He was drafted into the army on September 28, 1961. He served two years as an Honor Guard at Arlington National Cemetery and was transferred to the United States Army Reserve where he served for 4 years until September of 1967.

Over the years, Rat was well known for his racing abilities. It would take an entire novel to explain how very colorful and exciting his life was. He never met a stranger and was the best wheelman ever to drive a racecar.

During his later years, he spent his time on the road, in a motorcoach driving for Nascar Racing Cup owners Felix Sabates and Chip Ganassi. He truly enjoyed travelling all over the country, meeting new friends and old.

RIP, "Rat" & Thank You for your service !!

Rat Lane, March 1972 Jackson (MS) Speedway (Steve Bryant photo)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:25:55 AM by Hondo »

john2

Re: "Rat" Lane
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
Yes, Jim, I do remember Rat Lane.  He raced super modifieds and later late models mostly in Ms Al and fl.  As I recall,  he had silver hair even in those days, now 50 years ago.

I do not remember the 12 car, but I am pretty sure the 1 in the background was driven by Ray Putnam.

Tobby Taylor of misschicken.com would appreciate  this info.  Ok to pass it on ?

I have a Jackson Intl Speedway program from 1970,  and it is hard to believe that was 49 years ago.  All those folks would be 70+ now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:20:54 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Hondo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
John, that's fine on sharing the info here. That photo is from Steve Bryant. IIRC it came from the mschicken.com website.
As I too remember, Rat always had white hair. Especially interesting that he was an Honor Guard at Arlington.
Rat's son, Jeff (below) was racing super late models a few years ago too.
This was Nashville 2008, with Rat in background, brown jacket with the white hair.

john2

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Thanks.  Did not know of son Jeff.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4