Author Topic: Visited my nearest Hobby Lobby  (Read 4529 times)

sentsat71

Visited my nearest Hobby Lobby
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »
earlier this week and noticed that they have one price for their car kits.....$29.99
Only a couple were around $21.99.......
And no......forgot to get a coupon......
Kinda' looks like this hobby is fast going beyond my being able to afford it.... :( :'(
Ed K.

Olderndirt

Re: Visited my nearest Hobby Lobby
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »
The same thing here Ed. The only hobby shop even remotely close to me is a Michael’s thirty miles away, that has a very small selection of models. Without one of their 50% coupons they are incredibly over priced. The same kits are available on line, but by the time you pay shipping they are out of my range. That’s probably a residual from my youth when AMT 3in 1 kits were a buck and a half.
 I found one of those kits I built several time back in my youth, and though how fun it would be to build it again. The darned thing was two hundred bucks. I was shocked.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
I understand where you guys  are coming from,  but I am not above taking an old one apart and building it again.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
You know John, I may be doing the same thing. I moved from a house with separate 960 sq. ft. garage to a double wide mobile!!! I've got about 90 built ones packed and stored at my daughters house. I don't have room for all of them!!! Hate to get ride of most of them!

Rett

john2

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
It would not be hard  to take a Tobias  frame, and draw off a slab sided super modified body on sheet plastic and build a wing and slap it on top of the cage.  The first ones were flat anyway.  There are a lot of possibilities.

Most of us have enough stuff to do  a parts box car.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
Hobby passed my ability to afford it five years ago!! I haven’t bought a new kit in a loooonnnngggg time!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »
....I've been buying kits lately from Freds Model World Online and STAR Models    The prices, they wont hurt ....far less than E-bay and any brick and mortar store out there.  Check this out,picked up a Revell '87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for $11.00 and an AMT/ERTL ,69 Cougar for $13.00 and the MONOGRAM Rookie Combo Set....the 1985 Thunderbirds that where driven by Alan Kulwicki & Ken Schrader for only $20.00
   There are bargain's to be had out there, even on E-Bay, you just have to do some looking.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Brian...

Fred;s Model World has been my primary source for kits, but the ones I really want are usually already sold by the time I get around to emailing him....but then, maybe that's just as well...LOL....
Also thanks for the Star Models link....lost it some time back.....
Another site I check out now and then is Deans Hobby Stop. That's where I scored 2 older MPC McLaren Can-Am cars 1/20th scale...had one of the originals, but with one of my moves, it was one to bite the dust......
Spotlight Hobbies is another  site I check out now and then.....

Check out Model Roundup now and then just to "drool"..... ;D ;) :o
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:15:44 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Brian Conn

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »
....Ask Fred (Freds Model World Online) to be put on the e-mail list.  Those of us on the e-mail list get a complete list of all of the available kits a few days prior to the kit list being posted on the web page....I would imagine another one coming out soon.

Fordguy01

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I'd like to chime in here with some info that may help some of you that have some distances to travel for kits.  Check out A/K Collectibles also known as Model Cars and More.  This is a little mom and pop shop that has lots of older kits (Frank is always buying collections) he also gets in new releases when they come out plus he has a great parts inventory, after market items that include resin bodies and other items plus modeling supplies.  He and his wife Jackie also do mail order.  Now for those of you that like other types of modeling he has a small section for the military builders.  For those of you in the local area the address is: 534 Galvin Rd. N (In Avery Plaza), Bellevue Ne 68005.  The phone number is:  (402) 598-5308 and he has two e-mail addresses: 1) fallen01@cox.net and 2) www.modelcarsandmore.net.  The shop is closed Sundays and Mondays but Tuesdays through Saturdays the hours are from noon to 7 P.M.  Hope this helps you guys.  Happy modeling.

Al

Brian Conn

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »
   Great looking site :)....I fixed the link for you, it works now....
                  http://www.modelcarsandmore.biz/