Author Topic: Closest I got to being involved in racing...  (Read 2896 times)

sentsat71

Closest I got to being involved in racing...
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:33:26 AM »
Was part of the pit crew on this Figure 8 car from mid 1976 thru the 1977 season, Sun. nights at Ascot in SoCal, but only once a month. That was the agreement between the owner/driver of the car...

Don't remember why I had B&W film in my little Kodack X-15 camera, but seem to remember these were taken to finish out that particular roll of film.
It wasn't long after these pics were taken when they swapped out these stock wheels for the factory "mag" wheels. There were issues with the stock rims cracking around the lug holes, but once they went to the other wheels, never had that issue again.

Why did the owner/driver only run 2 seasons?
He started building another car for the 1978 season, when he threw his back out.....that ended it.....
Oh, he was a driving instructor for the LAPD....
Ed K.

TarheelRick

Re: Closest I got to being involved in racing...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »
Great story.  Trying to figure out if that is in fact a 65/66 Ford Galaxie or something similar.
My racing story was very short lived, about four laps around Hickory Speedway on a Saturday night.  I was the "pit crew" for my sister's boyfriend's late model 56 Ford.  He would tow that thing the 50 miles over to Hickory, run a few practice laps, a couple of qualifying laps and never made the field. Anyway, one night another guy he knew who was running a Hobby Stock did not have a driver, the guy did not show up.  They asked me if I would want to try driving it - a 53/54 Ford with a 6 cylinder.  I had my NASCAR Grand National Mechanics license (never was a GN Mechanic, that was the only license my parents would sign for).  So I jumped into the car did a couple of warm up laps and about the fourth lap I got, shall we say overconfident in my abilities, and spun it around between turns one and two.  There was also another four or five cars out there, all but one missed me, the other slid sideways into my driver's door.  I brought it back in and decided racing was not really my calling.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
Great story.  Trying to figure out if that is in fact a 65/66 Ford Galaxie or something similar.
          Looks like a mid 60's Riviera  :-\
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 06:51:36 AM »
It was a Rivy...

Ran most of the 1st season with the engine that was in the car when converted from the street version.....did pretty well with that old tired engine, while another more race type engine was being built....might have been a larger CI engine, don't remember anymore...Once the "race" engine was put in the car, the driver complained that it was not as good as the old engine.....Story was he wanted that original engine put back in....don't remember if they ever changed it back or not.....

Ed K.