Author Topic: Season Recap  (Read 3687 times)

dirtmodwrench

Season Recap
« on: August 26, 2019, 12:13:26 PM »
So we ran the car a total of 9 times:  a pre-season open practice day to test our set-ups and then 8 race nights (each consisting of a practice session, 8 lap heat race and 30 or 35 lap feature).  We also had an additional 3 race nights rained out, one of which in mid-June we desperately needed to repair major crash damage inflicted the week prior in a heat race accident.  That crash wiped out the entire front end of the car, and we replaced the front frame horn, front bumper, upper a-frames and lower control arms on both sides of the car, two rims, and all the related hardware.  We chased the handling and set-ups after the crash, but finally got it figured out after much head-scratching and multiple sessions scaling the car in the garage.  In the second half of the season, we led our first laps in two heat races (a first for us!) and recorded two top-10 feature finishes (a 9th and a 10th), also firsts for our little team.  When I say little team, I mean it’s the driver and me – with occasional help from my brother.  It’s a ton of work maintaining the car during the week and doing everything on race nights, but we did have fun (more so on the nights we ran decent and busting chops in the shop) and made some new friends.  I was really impressed the night we got crashed, as we had guys from two other teams helping me in our pits to get the car pieced back together so we could take the green in the feature, run two laps to collect start money, and get it loaded on the trailer.  There is a big season-ending 100 lap race this coming weekend, but we have exhausted our budget and are done for this year.  We’ll have lots to do during the off-season, but right now I need to catch up on a bunch of projects around the house that I’ve neglected since April.  And get back to my model bench and spend some time working on a couple of projects there gathering dust.  Oh, to add to the “to-do” list, I came across a ‘57 Ford Y-Block engine that somehow made its way into the bed of my truck and is now sitting in my garage  ;D.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Season Recap
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 09:36:47 PM »
I’m glad y’all made it through the season and had some decent results as well as made new friends along the way!  It’s always tough racing on a tight budget and with only a couple of guys!  That’s pretty much how the guys I was involved with got it done!  I guarantee that your first win will be in your memory bank forever! 🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the car in action.  I was in the pit grandstands and worked the radio, so I was too far from the track to grab any goods pics with my cell phone camera.  I checked the track photographers booth a few times during these season and he didn't have any shots of our car.  Here are a few in the shop and the pits:
LF no hood in barn by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Head on no hood in barn by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Shot from rear right side in barn by Mark Shea, on Flickr
May 11 2019 test and tune by Mark Shea, on Flickr
In line for practice run May 11, 2019 Perry by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Car on trailer at Perry May 11 2019 by Mark Shea, on Flickr

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »
GREAT pics!!!
Ed K.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »
The name of the track is Wyoming County International Speedway (AKA The BullRing) located in Perry, N.Y.

I know they had a track videographer but never saw our car in any highlights.  I think my brother bought a CD of the feature race on the night we finished ninth, but I never saw the actual footage. I'll have to get that disc from him and take a look.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
Good work detective!  Thanks for taking the time to search and find those clips, much appreciated.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
Very cool car DMW!  I’ll bet y’all are looking forward to a full season next year.  Keep us up on your adventures!🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response gentlemen.  Haven't been on the site for awhile.  My mother-in-law's health deteriorated rapidly right after the racing season wrapped up and she ultimately passed away last month.  We were handling arrangements for hospice care about 2 hours away and running up and down the New York State Thruway to visit and be with her as much as possible.  My wife is the executor so we've been focused on dealing with a lawyer and family members.  I'm ready to get back to building and a normal routine, if there is such a thing!

As for the off-season, my buddy with the race car up and decided to retire from working while I was focused more on mom.  Took me by surprise, but he's more than happy with the decision. So he has been making lists of things to tackle over the winter.  The engine is all set, so we're going to leave that in the car.  We are going to put a shallower oil pan on it, as we were scraping the left side of the pan on the track and had a little oil weeping where the metal was getting thin. Debating whether to put an oil cooler on it. The main task is go through all of the suspension parts and see if we have a bind somewhere. I suspect something in the back half of the car is still a bit off after the wreck we had, so we'll chase that first.  We are going to build a couple of new nose pieces, which is time-consuming but not too difficult.  He talked about building a new body too, but I haven't confirmed that we're going to do that yet.  We need to fix a couple of rims, and some odds and ends stuff. but no major overhaul is necessary.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
I can can attest to the amount of work in settling an estate.  It’s tough even when there’s a will in place.  It’s the little things that are time consuming.  Sounds like a fairly relaxed prep of the mod for next season. I hope you enjoy getting back to relaxing at the model bench, too.  Be sure and show us what you’re working on, DMW!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky