Author Topic: 9-14 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era  (Read 9273 times)

David Bogard

9-14 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« on: August 29, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
I apologize in advance to those purists among us that can build anything and everything, bar for bar, suspension part for suspension part, and so on. I want to show a way to build something that looks good on the shelf but doesn't take a ton of scratch building nor a lifetime of wrenching on race cars to make it happen. I can build something from scratch but like so many of us, I just do not have the time to spend and to stay energized on a super detailed build that might take me two or three months or longer to complete. I'm just too busy!!

Here's our target subject matter. Larry Phillips was being Larry Phillips during this era too and that means that of the 8 or 10 photos I have of this car, all of them are a little different so we're just going to build something as a happy medium that captures the essence of the car.

So let's get started!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:17:26 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:56:37 PM »
...Excellent choice for a build...I am sure the visual aspect will be outstanding and true to form.
   Since race tracks don't have curbs , would this be considered a track side build???
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
And I'm going to use this tutorial to build one just about like it. That is, if I ever get unpacked from moving!!! lol. I moved from a 1400 sq ft house with an unattached 960 sq ft garage to a 1200 sq ft modular.......Needless to say, my hobby area is severely smaller! At any rate, whenever I finally get to the hobby stuff, I hope to build one of these so keep up the good work. Enjoy your family time!!

Rett

jchrisf

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:32:20 AM »
So that's how you do it David... thanks for sharing.  I'm just starting the AMT Richard Petty Pontiac right now (83' model).  But I'm building mine box stock still trying to develop better skills.

jchrisf

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:21:09 AM »
Well, that's how this type of a build starts. As you will see, there are a lot of things that need to be done to this frame along the way but this is one easy way to get it up on it's wheels. Stay tuned for the next few weeks and you'll see how to make an old NASCAR chassis work for one of these type of builds.

If you are using the same Nascar kit I am there is not many parts too it.  Looking forward to seeing more.

john2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 03:12:48 PM »
 :) I love it already, David, and it will be great I am sure.

I am going to make a separate post on trucks, trailers, and haulers, concerning the tow rig. So, anyone with knowledge, please help me out.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

spotter23

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
You may have had it in the article and I missed it, but where did you get the body?
Thanks
MG
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap

Bob P.

Re: 9-4 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
Excellent tutorial David, thanks for posting this for all of us to learn from.
I keep saying I want to try one of these, but I have too many other projects in my mind right now.

Bob

Lefturns75

Re: 9-7 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
Yep, I can tell by that rear cage hoop it was one of the chassis Larry built.  Be sure to put LPR on the sail panel!!!    This is gonna look sooooo killer and you didnt have to spend half your life building a chassis or fifth coil setup.  This is without a doubt the way to do one of these without a ton of fab work.  I gotta try this. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
Well, those pics are actually two different cars.  I cant see enough of the first one to tell which chassis it is but I think it is a Bullett.  the second is one of Larry's and that brown seat is what it looks like without the cover.  I would have been black.    Just as a side note, larry used a two spoke steering wheel.  He had one he moved from car to car for a long time.  He liked it because he had less chance getting his hands tangled up in it when he was in a turn and digging for a smoke at the same time.  The man was a master. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:47:19 PM by Lefturns75 »

MarkJ

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
Now that's what scratch building is all about. Looks perfect ,David

ARCA Guy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
That is some kind of special work! Amazing scratch work! Can't wait to see it finished!

Bob P.

Re: 9-12 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
This is really looking good. I think this is going to be another killer replica build.

Bob

Lefturns75

Re: 9-13 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
LP once said that "Air is Free, you can do all kinds of things with it".   Just pick a photo and make it like the one you see.  Heck, I have seen him change spoilers and wing size and shape during one race night.  If you try to do a replica of LP's car for one season, you would have to build around 30, they were never the same race to race.  Choose a photo and run with it--------Moment in Time build.  Even if you make up the shape, chances are he used it once.

TarheelRick

Re: 9-14 Update Larry Phillips Wedge Era
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 01:42:43 PM »
Once I get all of the final little paint and wheel/tire details done it should look about as good as I can get it.
Which will be awesome, I have never seen anything from your bench that is anything but spectacular.  Now with all the accolades aside, let's see what this puppy is going to look like when it is all decorated.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.