Author Topic: 2017 ARCA Chevy dirt track racer  (Read 13495 times)

MarkJ

2017 ARCA Chevy dirt track racer
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
This is the car that Sheldon Creed drove at Duquoin State Fair grounds in Illinois back in September. It was a 100 lap race on the one mile dirt track there. I guess it is mostly used for horse racing. The ARCA cars put on a great show though, sliding through the turns and even the straight aways. If you ever get a chance to watch Mavtv on Saturday nights they usually show taped ARCA races from last season. I wanted to do this car because Creed really caught my eye the way he worked his way to the front. He made phenominal passes and unbelievable moves. If you have never heard of this driver you will. The model is a Revell Dale Jr. snapkit with Tamiya paint and my own inkjet decals made on my computer and printed off my Brothers printer. The build took 78 hours 36 of which were for the decals. Lots of images to transform on these modern cars. Spent a lot of time on google finding them.

MarkJ

Re: 2017 ARCA Chevy dirt track racer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Here are the decal sheets I used.

The last sheet with the exhaust ports is not a decal sheet. It is a solid address label sheet so I could cut out the image of the ports and place it on the rocker panel to use it as a template to cut the exhaust ports out of the rocker. the stickum held it in place and it was easily removed after the ports were drilled out and then cleaned up with small metal files.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »
Beautiful car and beautiful model.....Really, really nice!!!

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
This is a very clean and beautiful replica build Mark. The decal work is also outstanding. You can be very proud of this build.

Bob

pdaly28

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »
very nice build!!! ;D

gator

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
That looks great! I wish all the major sanctioning bodies would put the racers back on dirt. It would separate the drivers from the overpaid steering wheel holders for sure.
Jackie Sims Race Car Models

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:55:14 AM »
That is a great looking build!!!
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:14 AM »
Gator.....
Like your comment about other series returning to dirt....
Heck, since "what's his name" screwed up the Bristol track, tear out the pavement and make it a permanent dirt track.....   :o :o :o ::)
Ed K.

Charlie.D

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
I' am very impress on the job you did that car
Charlie Daniel

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
Wow!!

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »
Man Mark...GREAT job on that replica. If you hadn't shown the pics of the 1/1 on track...I wouldn't have believed it was a dirt car. Way clean looking and from what I hear...pretty darn fast.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 12:32:45 AM »
Y'all shoulda heard the racket when my jaw hit the iPad when I saw this build.  Okay, so it wasn't quite like that but this model is truly a spot on, gorgeous replica!!!  I'm in awe of your patience in creating the decals, Mark!!!  Well done!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤗🏁gb
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

JimW

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
Great looking ARCA car  !!  Duquoin and  Springfield Ill and the Indy mile all 3 have great 1 mile dirt tracks and all 3 have an ARCA race there each year ,  but Duquoin is by far the better track and fair grounds ,Duquoin with the pond in the middle of the track , the wife and I loved the weekends there USAC used to race midgets ans silver crown car there but I think only the silver crown race there once a year . Carol and i used to go there when we were on the road with our safety equp. business
Sheldon Creed is a "REAL" wheelman I frist saw him in 1/4 midgets when he was only 8 or9 years old he was winning at every track h raced at in those midgets , then I saw him driving one of Robby Gordons off road super trucks and your right that kids needs a cup ride as he would put a hurtin" on 90% of those so called cup drivers they have now , in the super truck he's the only driver that can keep up with Robby seen young Mr Sheldon win alot of those races , it looks funny to have General tires as the tires of ARCA but then General tire bought Hoosier tires a few years ago , most people didn't know but General tires made all of the Hoosier street tire and a few of their hoosiers dot racing tires
again Mark  you have that snapper lookin' good !!
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

MarkJ

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 05:50:21 AM »
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the positive feedback. This was a real fun project. I have a ford snap kit. I just have to figure out what other ARCA driver I want to do. These young ARCA guys are some really good young drivers and are a pleasure to watch compete. The racing is close and competitive.

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »
What did you use for tires Mark? Let's see!