Author Topic: Nova Hobby Stock  (Read 18750 times)

Lefturns75

Nova Hobby Stock
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
As far as I know, this is up on one other forum.  I see some names I know here so some of you have seen this one.  This was built as a hobby stocker in my area during the 1972 season.  Rules stated the car had to be 10 years old and could use the chassis from the same make.  On dirt DOT tires were required but on asphalt racing rubber could be used.  Most cars ran dirt one night and asphalt the next and this one is an example.  It sits on some Mickey Thompson Indy Profile street tire which was a favorite of the hobby drivers on dirt.  Car is a 1962 Nova body on a 55 chevy chassis with coil spring rear suspension.  There was a 300 cube max so a hogged out 283 is used for go.  The 180 degree headers are made from solder and the dump tubes are aluminum tube.  I have some WIP pics if you guys want to see em.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:20:03 AM by Lefturns75 »

Michael F

Re: Nova Hobby Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:13:56 AM »
Very nice racer, perfect weathering !
Greetings from Germany!

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Yep, one cool Deuce.  If you could post a couple pictures of the chassis work, especially how you adapted the 55 frame, I would really like to see that.  I have another Chevy bodystyle that seems to be screaming for a tri-five frame.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:56:30 AM »
Cool looking build!!
love that body style!
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed this one.  Tarheelrick, I won't go into any great detail but this should give you an idea of the chassis work.  I started with a chassis from an old revell 55 chevy gloo bomb.  The old version with opening doors and trunk is my chassis of choice. 

Once all the floorpan is cut away I get the length for my wheel base and shorten it a bit and "Z" the rear section.

Everything after that is pretty much the same way we all do it.  Cage added and all the suspension work. 

I used the kit supplied rear as it looks kinda like a 9 inch.  I know its not and you know but it fools most people.  The trailing arms, Panhard bar and third link is made from evergreen rod with doll house nails for bolts.  Shocks are evergreen tube with paperclip wire for the shaft.  Everything else is just junk from the parts bin.

The decals were printed for me by Bernard Kron.  I sent him some images and he set me up with about three sheets of hometown sponsors for later builds.  The body was an original AMT 62 gloo bomb I picked up somewhere.  It wasn't good enough to restore for a stock version so it became a short tracker. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:54:04 PM by Lefturns75 »

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
Man LT75...You sure hit the NAIL dead on the head with this build. Great looking short track car.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Hondo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Ha ha........ a blast from the past !!
(Think I still have some white paint rubbed on my ol' Pontiac from this Nova)

Great to see you over here now, Lefty.
Hope all's well up there in your neck o' the woods.

I''m sure the guys around here will love your work.
Be sure to post that old green Ford hauler in that section.

Glad you're still kickin' , my friend !!

Grt222

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »
Them old nova's made nice looking race cars. This one looks great.

john2

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
 :) Yeah, that's a good one, all right.

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

James2

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
Great looking model! I really like how you go about building the frame and chassis.
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

MarkJ

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
George, Ok whats with all this stuff you keep saying about how your builds aren't that good. Here is another example of an awesome build with awesome weathering to boot. I'm glad I'm finally getting to see your work.

Dirtman

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:29 AM »
I'd expect to see this car at any track I've visited!!!! And, I've visited a lot of tracks. Great representation of a short tracker!!!
Rett

Lefturns75

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
Thank you guys!  Super tex MarkJ, I have one fall in place now and again but I am still the Gloo-Bomb King.  I would think you built two of your beautiful projects during the time I did this one AND you probably scratch-built the ball bearing in the front wheels and the oil in the engine too.  I am NOT anxious to start next to you in a contest, I would be just as happy if I left mine in the box and just looked at yours!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:47:05 AM »
You've built yourself one cool looking, fast Nova, LT75!!!  It is one fast little car, even sitting still!!!  Where did you source your tires from???  Looks like they would fit the bill for just about any hobby stock or sportsman car requiring DOT street tires.  One sweet ride!!! 😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤗🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Lefturns75

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
Greg, I think those tires were MRC 1/24 tires and wheels.  They came with Keystone Mags and I got a couple of sets in a trade about 10 years ago.  I don't know if they are even made anymore or not, I haven't seen any in a long time.