Author Topic: 70 Monty Carlo Hobby stock  (Read 14073 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
70 Monty Carlo Hobby stock
« on: January 27, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
This is the car that my cousin (Teresa) drove in the hobby stock class for a few yrs( I think it was in the late 70s). The car was built in the garage by her Dad and Tess.
  I don't know who shot the pink on the car.... but Tess did all the lettering . I guess she did ok with the car which led to her getting a seat ( step up) in the modified stock class with a new team( the #66 72 Chevelle). That's her standing next to the car in the first picture....
In the 3rd pic her dad (Russel) is pushing the car at the track..

The 1/1...

The Build...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:06:46 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

Re: 72 Monty Carlo Hobby stock
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
Very nice replica build Gary, it looks great.

Bob

Grt222

Re: 70 Monty Carlo Hobby stock
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:17:57 AM »
Nice replica gary. Did you make your own decals?

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »
That is so cool!! 

both the 1:1 and the great replica....!!
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »
Really fine looking Monty.  Even with the "Pepto" paint job, it looks like a winner.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
Nice replica. Especially nice 'cause it's someone you know and are close to! Those always seem more important!

Rett

Gary Davis

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
Thanks for ALL the Compliments folks.

Nice replica gary. Did you make your own decals?
Thanks Grt222...Yes I made the Decals here in house
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
That's one fine looking Monte, Gary.  Looks like your cousin and her dad were purty good car builders and she's a purty good sign painter as well!!!  Great replica as well!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Gary Davis

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
That's one fine looking Monte, Gary.  Looks like your cousin and her dad were purty good car builders and she's a purty good sign painter as well!!!  Great replica as well!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
Thanks Greg. Yea...Tess did ok with the sign thing. I think she did a few other cars during that time frame. I have one more of her cars that's started but had to stop to do her Dads car...the 321 34 ford sedan.

love when a car is replicated from a family member. always makes it more special of a build and you nailed it. wish that type of racing was still around.
Thanks for the compliment Steven. I also wish the cars and tracks were like they were in the 60s-early 80s. Miss it a whole bunch.

Gary Davis

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
I keep going back to check out this car. Okay, full disclosure. . . I keep going back to check out your cousin! I have been happily married for 42 years but back in the day, a girl who drove race cars AND was good at it AND who lettered race cars AND was good at it AND who could wear short-shorts. . . that's a pretty enticing combination right there now! Not being disrespectful or sophomoric, just sayin' that she must have been pretty cool to have as a cousin!  :)
LOL..LOL.. Well David...I take it as a great compliment bud. One thing is for sure though...she was the only Girl running at Shasta Speedway( Anderson Ca.) at that time. I wasn't around her or the racing scene then... as I was in the ARMY stationed in Germany.

I guess it wasn't an easy thing out there run'in with the GUY's. She never won an "A" main but...did win heat races and a few trophy Dashes (#66 72 Chevelle). Not to bad for a local Gal..eh? The rac'in is in her genes. Her Dad (Russel) ran at Shasta back in the late 40s-1955 setting a track record that still stands today. I don't think it will ever be broke as the racing and rules and cars have changed so much.

Now her son Todd Carmichael...is still involved in racing( Nascar...#78 of Truex). I built his 410 Sprintcar(I think I posted it here  http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=461.0 ) that he built before moving to Asphalt and Super Stocks. Then...he went to N. Carolina and started his career with Nascar and is in Denver as we type. I'm NOT a HUGE Nascar fan these days. I'm glad Truex won a championship...Now...I don't have to watch their silly ways of rac'in. 
Man...wrote a book here....I get to talk'in about rac'in and get ALL involved...Sorry! LOL

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:06:25 PM by Gary Davis »

Gary Davis

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
Man...that's for sure David. I think there'd be a little more than a few hrs though...LOL I think we're talk'in DAYS...I'LL tell ya...DAY'S....LOL ( and a shot or two of our favorite beverage :o)

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
When I was somewhat involved with a figure-8 car back in 1976-77, we got it to the track in a similar fashion....but used the wheel dollies off the tow truck, dropped the rear wheels on them, picked up the front with the tow sling and off we'd go....though, the owner/driver of the car had an agreement with is wife, he would only run once a month, maybe twice at the outside, but don't really remember running more than once a month....
In early '78, he started building his next ride when he through his back out, and that was the end of that.
He was with the LAPD, as a driving instructor at their facility on Terminal Island between San Pedro and Long Beach.....
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Figure 8 back then was what I really remember...untill a few yrs ago. Back then those guys really went balls out at the intersection.....when they hit...it was like an explosion. The only basic rule was that you didn't hit the driver door. Most of those Fig 8 cars were mostly "D" derby cars to start with. Move forward to today....I'll tell you what... After I saw a post and a model of a figure 8 car that runs today...I didn't really believe it. Those cars are full blown race cars. And Man...they are fast and loud!! My wife and I went to a Fig 8 Race about 2yrs ago at Monroe Speedway. Man...it was a great show. Those cars are very cool. Huge plexi-glass side boards...wide stance...low sit...and they hall A**!!! I couldn't believe it. I have a build of one on the list for the future....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:06:59 PM by Gary Davis »

sentsat71

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
Haven't been to a Figure-8 race since that time.....But you're right, getting through that intersection was scary to watch.....the guy I was crewing for made a mistake one night, He was too busy looking at the cars headed for the intersection and not looking out the windshield and rear ended a car that had already stopped for the intersection, but not a direct nose to tail hit. Can't remember which corner of the front he hit the opposite rear corner of the stopped car. Know we were busy after getting him back to the work area replacing the damaged front suspension pieces. I was busy pounding out the dents in the now removed front fender. to the point i didn't care that my glasses had come flying off. Someone else picked them up and handed them back to me.....
To make matters "worse", my boss from work was there that night, so yeah, he had to rib me the next day about my guy hitting a stopped car going in the same direction. (Figure 8's at Ascot were on Sun. nights, had been for years)
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Yea...I saw that a lot in the old days. Guys rear ending someone at the "X".

Yes...getting back to the way they hauled that particular car to the track. My Uncle owned ASHBY Towing and Auto wrecking. The track was about 14 miles from their shop. I guess they used the tow truck and hauled this car that way. Later on down the road they did get a trailer as the #66 was loaded on one...hooked up to the same tow truck.