Author Topic: Larry Phillips Chevelle  (Read 14768 times)

David Bogard

Larry Phillips Chevelle
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:30 PM »
The legendary Larry Phillips roamed the Midwest for many years and he generally showed up for one purpose only and that was to win. His cars changed a little nearly every time out and this Chevelle is inspired by Philips during his early 70's run. I must thank my sponsors. . . Greg Holland produced the graphics and without him, this car never happens. Also I'd like to thank Lefturns75 and his vast knowledge of this driver and I learned a lot about this car in the process of building it. Hope you like it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:20:17 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Lefturns75

Re: Larry Phillips Chevelle
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:37:24 PM »
Holy Av-Gas Batman!  I think I just went back to 1972!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You hit it David, you really did.  I have attempted that body work for 40 years and you got it in one try.  I am super happy that this car finally has been done, it had a whole lot of history.  I have memories and stories about this car that could fill a book. 

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
Excellent replica build David and another fine set of replica decals by Greg Holland.

Bob

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »
According to the live picture, you've gotten about as perfect as it can get. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rett

jchrisf

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »
Great job David.. that car looks awesome

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »
...Being a Larry fan I can really appreciate this build...its outstanding!!!

Now go find a binder and another Chevelle and get to building.... ;D
  Lefturns 75...we're heading down to Springfield Saturday....any chance you know where this building is located?  Amy wants to roll by her old neighborhood and get a picture of where Larry lived back when she was a kid.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:43 PM »
2156  W. Kearney.  I'm not for sure if the building still exists, if it does, let me know.  I have not been up that way in some time.

MarkJ

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
Excellent job , David. Looks just like the real thing.

TarheelRick

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
What they said.  That is a beautiful replica.  Those front fenders at the grille appear to be angled back quite a bit more than stock, or is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
Another GREAT replica build!!!

8)
 8) 8)
 8) 8) 8)
 8) 8) 8) 8)
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 03:42:54 PM »
 :)  Nice one, David.  I got to see Larry Phillips race at Jackson a couple of times, plus at the fairgrounds in Shreveport, La. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Brian Conn

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »
2156  W. Kearney.  I'm not for sure if the building still exists, if it does, let me know.  I have not been up that way in some time.
EXCELLANT!!! Amy thinks the bldg. still may be standing.  Will be getting pictures of the house he lived in on Warren St. just a few doors down from where Amy lived(mid-late 60's ish)  ...instead of further hi-jacking of this thread , I'll do a thread for the Larry fans when I get back...I think there are some guys here who have no clue what a "bouncy car" is ;) 

john2

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 05:11:57 AM »
 :)  The 1:1 picture was taken at Jackson.  The 6 in the background is one of our hobby cars.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Lefturns75

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
John2, I understand that the #6 car was Jerry Simpson.  You have any info on that car?

Brian Conn

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
  Lefturns 75...we're heading down to Springfield Saturday....any chance you know where this building is located?  Amy wants to roll by her old neighborhood and get a picture of where Larry lived back when she was a kid.

Loaded up 2156 W. Kearney in the GPS and it took me to the Mercy Hospital Convenient Care- West Kearney....I'm assuming that the shop would have been where the Mercy sign is located......Amy seems to think that in the early 70's that the area in this picture was nothing more than a grass field as she would go by this location to the new home that her folks had built in the early 70's which was about a 1/2 to 3/4 mi. WSW of this location....we drove Kearny all the way from where it starts to just East of town...close but no cigar about a mile and half East of this location...different bldg.  :(
  Will start another Larry thread with lots 'o pictures ...look for it.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:00:28 PM by Brian Conn »