Author Topic: Did it again.............! Update  (Read 2842 times)

sentsat71

Did it again.............! Update
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:29:16 AM »
Went to the local track for a special Sat night race during the Kossuth County (IA) Fair and did NOT take my camera again.....and.....wouldn't you know it, the Vintage cars ran again, so missed taking pics of a few of them..... >:( >:( :'( :'(
So missed out on taking pics of the Vintage cars. And yes, the Chevy II bodied car with the big block Chevy under the hood, won......again! And once again the local IMCA Stock car driver was behind the wheel, Chad Palmer. Palmer also looked like he was taking his first ride in an A Modified last night, as it looked like he was trying to get used to the differences between the two cars.

Races for the regular classes of cars proved interesting in a couple of divisions.
Hobby stock main had a car/driver/owner only making his 3rd appearance with his car, the first at Algona this year. The #8Ball with Nathan Simpson at the wheel,  started on the pole of the 12 lap main, took the early lead, but never dominated. Different times just as he lost the lead, the caution came out, the line up reverting to the last completed lap which him back out front. Lost count of how many times it happened during this race, but he pulled off the win! Brandon Nielson and Kyle Ricke were not making it easy by any means for Simpson. Simpson's grandfather was Leo Christensen, who made the 8Ball car "famous" in this part of the country. Leo's last year of driving was 1969 and was part of the first group of inductees to the Kossuth County Raceway back around 10 years ago or so. This was not Nathan's first time in a Hobby Stock, as he drove one some years ago, but had not been campaigning a car since I moved back in 2014

Modified A main was a race long battle with the pole sitter #5R, Tad Reutzel winning the race after heated battles with two other drivers, Kelly Shryock, #3 and another local driver, Ryan Ruter, #555 (Triple Nickel). Ruter finally got the best of Shryock late in the race, but by this time Reutzel had pulled out a comfortable lead, his first of the main.

Next up for me, USMTS at the Algona track on the 30th, and hopefully, maybe, the next night at the Fairmont, MN track (Fingers crossed  ;) :) )
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:29:57 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Did it again.............!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »
Sounds like a great night of racing, Ed!!!  Bummer on the camera.  I'd love to see pics of that big block Nova.  The 62-65 Novas's made some awesome race cars.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

Re: Did it again.............!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
Greg, will have to "talk to a party" from the track website, as he said he would see what he could do the first time the vintage cars ran.
were a couple of '55 Chevy sedans running as well, not sure when these would have run at the Algona track but these 2 were running without front fenders. And both seemed to have plenty of power, but not enough for the big block.....
Also had a couple of "early" modifeds, both sounded like they had inline 6 cylinder engines under the hoods, the frame length also seemed to bear that out....but they had rather narrow frames, more similar to the V-8 modifieds circa 1969-1970 that ran at the Fairmont, MN track....

And now I can't find the results from the race on Sat night....the website for the track does not seem to have any results posted from this season  :( :(
And the "WhoWon.com site doesn't seem to exist anymore..... :'( :( :) :)
Ed K.

sentsat71

Re: Did it again.............! Update
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
Greg.....talked to this party via e-mail and he apologized for forgetting about the pics.... 
Know how that goes..... ;) :)
Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
I hear ya, Ed.  Not a make or break deal on the pics.  I helped build a couple of 63 Nova late models back in the winter of 70-71.  Went into USAF in May of 71 so I had to wait until 1975 to have anymore involvement with them.  I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.  I should build a replica some day.  I'll have to get a resin body on my want list.  The fenderless late models would have been from the mid to late 60's era if memory serves correctly. :-\
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
Sure would like to see an early '60's Chevy II kit/body again....(without spending a fortune)

Back in the early '70's before I headed for SoCal, I mated an AMT Chevy II body to an AMT '39/40 Sedan kit, replacing the well chopped up sedan body. Was trying to paint it with a candy color with a silver undercoat, but the dandy color rattle can misfired and ended up with a speckled paint job. was upset at first, but grew to like it. But one day it was gone. To this day I have no idea what happened to it! Remember that body was very close in matching the W/B of the '39/40 frame. (Now I'd want to use a Chevy II body on one of the old MPC Super Stocker frames.) Then there is the one on the www.fairmontspeedwayarchives.org site in the 1971 photo section (Jim Edgington's #14)...

Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 03:16:57 PM »
Well Ed, it would be cool to recreate that Nova from long ago.  The website for Fairmont is really well done and several good looking Nova's as well.  Thanks for sharing that link!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky