Author Topic: Winner, winner, chicken dinner  (Read 3032 times)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Winner, winner, chicken dinner
« on: August 12, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
I am so proud of grandson, Matt Smith!!!  He won his first ever feature at Webster City, Iowa last night!!!  So cool, had to share!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: Winner, winner, chicken dinner
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
Well, well congratulations grand pa....details, details give us the details!
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

David Bogard

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 11:24:56 PM »
Clip from the 7-7-2018 Feature. Obviously not one of his better nights but you get to see the track, the car and Matt right up there until he got a "leeetle too close" to the turn one wall. Still, neat video and it gives you the "feel" of the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlD6hPAiEjI&t=316s
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

jchrisf

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:51:11 AM »
Awesome!

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »
Congrats to him and I'm happy for you! I remember my first feature like was yesterday. Love those memories!!!!!

Rett

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »
Brian, you asked for details, here are some.  Matt is 31 years old, married, 3 children, has been racing now for 4 years in hobby stocks.  He races Friday night at Marshalltown, Iowa where he is 7th in points, won his heat and finished 2nd in the feature this past Friday night.  Mtown is a 1/4 mile high banked long straights, tight turns clay oval and very fast.  Matt has been on the verge of winning his first feature for quite awhile.  He never gets discouraged but digs in that much more to improve.  His dad and older brother are his pit crew and help with the racecar.  Matt finished 4th in his heat and won his first feature this past Saturday night at the Hamilton County Speedway in Webster City, Iowa.  That track is a 1/2 mile oval and is also very fast.  Matt works for Tompkins, a hydraulic hose and fittings business in inside sales and he was recently promoted to store manager in St. Joseph, Missouri.  He is moving to the St. Joe area in a couple of weeks, thus ending his Iowa racing.  He is hoping to race in Missouri next year but his first priority will be getting his family settled.if he doesn't race again at least he goes out a winner but he's always a winner in my book.  He currently lives in Des Moines, Iowa.  That about sums it up.  Oh yeah, the car is a Monte Carlo built to IMCA hobby stock specs, 350 crate motor, Victory chassis,
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
David, thanks for posting the track link.  Those guys race every bit as hard as the other classes.  Matt did have a bad night but has recovered well.😎🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
Thanks fella's!!!  It is exciting for Kathy and me so I can just imagine how awesome it is for him.  Matt's mom and wife are there every race cheering him on!!!😎🏁
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:07:33 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
Greg,
Know what you mean about the Hobby Stock and Stock car drivers, At times they put on a better show than the modifieds, as they really go at it like their was a large purse to chase for. AND they are not afraid to rub each other to try and make it to the front.
Ed K.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
Can we get a whoop whoop!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ