Author Topic: Modified Reissue 29 Model A Ford Roadster  (Read 3670 times)

Fordguy01

Modified Reissue 29 Model A Ford Roadster
« on: February 13, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
Don't know if any of you guys have heard or not but Revell is reissuing its 29 Model A Ford Roadster in either late February or early March. I received an e-mail from Scale Auto magazine a couple of days ago with their newsletter. Tim Kidwell the editor of SAE did a brief walk through of this revised kit.  It can be built either as a highboy or a channeled rod.  Gone is the Buick engine and it was replaced with a SBC (looks like the SBC from the 30 Ford Coupe kit). The rest of the running gear looks pretty much the same as does the interior, it still has steel wheels and a set of what looks like jelly bean slotted mags and a different decal sheet. Changes I would have liked would be a Flathead engine, a more stock appearing differential, a 32 Ford radiator/grill setup and maybe an up roadster top.  If you guys have the newsletter click on the video and you an see the kit. Until next time keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Al

TarheelRick

Re: Modified Reissue 29 Model A Ford Roadster
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 06:45:21 AM »
I haven't seen the video yet.  I try to stay away from such things, it makes me want to go out and buy more kits.  Too bad they pulled the Buick and replaced it with an overdone SBC.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Olderndirt

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
 I agree with Rick on the engine change. I just can’t get excited about a hot rod with a small block Chevy in it. It is far beyond being overdone, in fact its just plain boring. I’m rapidly getting the same way with Hemi Chrysler’s as well. Having grown up during the hot rod era, I can tell you first hand that most hot rods ended up with whatever engine the wrecker had in stock that was cheap. Early roadsters in my home town sported Oldsmobile, Buick, DeSoto, and even Studebaker engines.

Olderndirt

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 08:42:30 AM »
Too bad they couldn't have left the Buick in the box so one would have an engine option, like they did with the '32 Ford Sedan and 5 window coupe.....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:38:13 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
I understand the non excitement about the SBC. I don't get excited about them nor do I get excited about the BBC engines.   But, it is what it is.  Now, most of us have engines from other kits that would lend themselves to this reissue and could create something unique and different.  Some examples are the flathead from any of the Revell 48 Ford kits, Oldsmobile engine from the 50 Oldsmobile kits the 53 Studebaker and Revell's parts pack engines, Pontiac and Cadillac come to mind and of course my favorites would be Fords, the 292/312 Y Blocks from the AMT's 56 Victoria and 57 Ford kits along with the Revell 57 Fords. Just a little food for thought to help whet your appetites.  Now if/when Revell reissues the 30 Ford coupe I would like to see an option of either the chopped top or the stock height top with any of the afore mentioned engine choices.  Have a great day gents. 

Al

Olderndirt

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »
 I have never seen a  hot rod kit that offers a Y block Ford as an engine option. I am very fond of the parts pack Cadillac engine with the four deuces like the Kookie roadster. It seems the parts pack concept was pretty popular, would you guys buy kit engine packaged in the parts pack style?

Olderndirt

Fordguy01

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
Yes I would as I like the vintage cars. I plan to buy 2 kits.

Al

john2

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »
I don't know exactly which kit you guys are talking about.

I doubt I would build one, though.  I have had enough of those flimsy Revell front axles break after I finished the kits.  Those little pin point/hole radius rods are just not strong enough to last.  I have repaired enough of them.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
David, Heck yeah!!!

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
I saw artwork of the 30 Model A Coupe and a tentative date of later this summer release of it!!!! Let's hope..
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

john2

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
My hobby budget is already written for 2020.  lol
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

pdaly28

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
I have not built in a while but yes I would