Author Topic: The POWER of a Model Building Forum  (Read 7621 times)

David Bogard

The POWER of a Model Building Forum
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
So I am busy at work yesterday and get a phone message that some guy from Australia had called. I returned the call and ended up spending the day and evening with "ausbodies" and his charming wife! They were visiting America from Perth Australia and after meeting with them and having a big shared meal, I had them come to my house and Alan and I dug heavy into model builds and life in general while "the girls" went into the quilting world. My old dog even wanted to go home with them! In the blink of an eye it was late at night and Candy and I had to get up and work today so we called it a day.

So we build model cars and stuff? Sure. And we yack it up sometimes on the Forum? Sure. But what we are really doing guys is building relationships. We expose ourselves in our posted builds and comments and from there we forge new friendships. It matters in ways we'll never truly know. Build on!!  8)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:56:45 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

spotter23

Re: The POWER of a Model Building Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
David........I just wanted to echo the comments you passed along in your previous post. While I haven't had the opportunity to spend time with model builders form Australia, it's true what you say about the relationship side of things. I wish I had more builders in my area I could spend time with, to share ideas and builds. The forum is a way for me to fill that gap and everyone has been very helpful when I have questions.

I was in Daytona about a month ago and drove an extra 200 miles one way to the Deerfield Beach show, just to be around other builders and see what was happening in that area. The show was small but it was a fun day and I even found a couple of kits and a few parts I needed.

I have no doubt that watching my dad build models at the kitchen table, 50+ years ago, before I could read the instructions, helped focus my thoughts and actions toward constructive goals rather than the directions some of my friends took during my teenage years. I'm positive that knowing how to look at, and read the instructions, helped me as I entered my engineering career.

Thanks to all the guys that post photos, share techniques and answer questions, as we enjoy and grow a relaxing and fun hobby!
MG

"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
Great story! I've managed to meet a couple of guys. Got to go downtown Tampa a couple of years ago to see Slim and his band play. Great evening there. Always thought if I knew when I was going to be near a couple of the midwest guys I'd try to call. Maybe someday.....Anyway, glad you guys had a good time together and hopefully some of the ideas will turn into reality and the rest of us can benifit from it!

Rett

john2

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »
 :)  I guess it is about time for one of J2's group hugs. 

It has been a pleasurable 11 years for me.  Met a few of you guys in person, and made a lot of friends.   I hope I will be able to continue at my new home.   I have learned a lot here, and it hasn't all been about gluing up plastic.

Glad you guys were able to get together.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Charlie.D

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
With my traveling around country with work I've dinner with JOHN 2 and  DAVID BOGARD. I've had a great time doing it. Looking forward to doing more of it in the future.
Charlie Daniel

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Ditto to all that was said!!!!! I've met and have chatted with a few guys, mostly talked through the forums. But it is great to meet and get to know modelers because that's what it is. A chance to meet people and the models are our glue to bring us together!!!!! Ya like how I did that?????? wink wink!!!!!! Used "models are our GLUE"!!!!!! Ha ha, I crack me up sometimes!!!!!!!!
Chirp..... chirp.......... What??? It was just me laughing??????? YIKES!!!!! I thought I had a good sense of humor!!!!!!!  :-\ :o ::) 8)
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

john2

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »
 :)  Well, I thought it was a RIOT.  You are super clever.  Think you will ever be any good at model car building ?   

lol

James2

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »
You guys just make me feel warm and fuzzy all over...
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

john2

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
 :)  I told you we would get a hug. 

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:00:35 PM »
:)  Well, I thought it was a RIOT.  You are super clever.  Think you will ever be any good at model car building ?   

lol

Ummmmmm NAH!!!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

john2

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
 :)  Me neither.

Rod Statsman McLeod

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Great story. A few years ago Jim Hehl and I realized we were going to be in Florence Italy at the same time. He lives in Florida and I am in Toronto and we had not met. We got together for a beer and had a great visit halfway around the world.

john2

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »
 :)  That's neat.

ausbodies

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have just returned to Perth after an awesome 30 day trip through nine states.  Loved every second of it

Unfortunately for a whole bunch of boring reasons I had almost NO internet access the whole time I was away so this is my first opportunity to respond to this post.  Yep, David and I had a great evening together and probably solved more problems than the U.N. ever will.

It took a bit of fluffing around to make it happen but it was worth it.  David is every bit the interesting persona we read about on these pages and his models are captivating - he has such a neat way of getting "the look".  If any of you ever have the opportunity to catch up with each other - go the extra mile and make it happen.

Even though we meet each other through our models, you usually end up finding out a whole heap of other similarities in your lives that you would never have thought about (how are those boats going, Ponch?)
Cheers
Alan