Author Topic: Cackilacky ?  (Read 3126 times)

john2

Cackilacky ?
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
 :)  New one on me. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Lefturns75

Re: Cackilacky ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
Sounds kinda like "Cockroach" in German.--------"Kakelake"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:46:40 PM by Lefturns75 »

Hondo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
Ha !! Guess, I misspelled it.......... C A C K A L A C K Y

A nickname for North Carolina. Mainly used by people (military transplants) who are originally from the West Coast, especially from CA and more specifically Socal;) The word is used in good humor often to make light fun of the red neck ways of the South.

Can you believe that someone would make fun of us Southern Rednecks???

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
Shucks Hondo, "CACKALACKY" or "KAKELAKE" I figure it means the same thing.  "Cockroach"   At least that's what Curt Brennecke says.

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Not meaning to start any trouble, but I am a native North Carolinian and I really do not like that term.  I know it is posted here in good humor and I receive it that way.  Now let's go build something. :)
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Lefturns75

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
Rick, I never in my life heard that term other than the German word I spoke of.  (Matter of fact, it was used in the movie Das Boot)  I have heard a shortened version used by the native hillbillies here when trying to say "Cadillac".  I never heard it connected to North Carolina, I learned something here. 

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
I have never heard that term either...I do for sure love the south and all y'all who hail from the south.  As a matter of fact Tom and I are 50% Bama boys(mom grew up about 20 miles north of Jasper in the Meek community of Arley.  Now there's a mouthful.  Now then...why am I not living in the south????🤔🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

TarheelRick

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 03:43:55 AM »
Now then...why am I not living in the south????🤔🏁
  That is a real good question.  Of course it can't be for the warm, sunny weather.  It was cold enough around Christmas and New Year to quote the infamous Col Henry Blake (MASH 4077), "You better keep the brass monkeys inside tonight".
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:50:47 AM »
 :)  Well, I did not mean to cause any trouble.  I had just never heard the term before.  I am letting it go at that.

There have been several times that I asked questions, and later wished I had not.  lol  Guess I am a slow learner.   :-[
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

James2

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
   "brass monkeys".

Yes but who know's the true meaning behind this?
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »
Now then...why am I not living in the south? ??? 🤔🏁
  That is a real good question.  Of course it can't be for the warm, sunny weather.  It was cold enough around Christmas and New Year to quote the infamous Col Henry Blake (MASH 4077), "You better keep the brass monkeys inside tonight".

What about Col. Sherman Potter and his "Buffalo Bisquits???"  And...the cold in the south don't last for months on end like up north.  I gotta move to the warmer south, that's all there is to it.  And...we're called sod busters up here but I reckon I pay no attention to that any more.  And I'm building something, a deFoosed 48 Caddy.  Got it painted and polished.  I'm having issues posting from Flickr on my iPad or I would be adding to my original post in the other than forum...🤔🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
Greg.....

Spent 29 yrs living in Southern Calif.....4 in Orlando, FL and just shy of 9 years in Albuquerque, NM.....gotta' tell you that long before I left Calif, I found I really missed the true 4 seasons......which is ONE of the reasons for moving back home in Iowa....though another big reason for moving back to my tiny small town, NO traffic jams.....which are such a pain in the butt in SoCal, Orlando wasn't too bad. Have to say that ABQ was the best of the larger cities I lived in.
Yeah, probably complain about the cold winter temps....but know that is part of living in this part of the country.....and I started psyching myself up for wanting move back here a good year or so before the move came about. ABQ did have a little cold weather, with one winter the temps dropped to 10-20 degrees below zero.....rather unusual for ABQ.

Another little point......in winter back here, you can always put more clothes on to keep warm.....but in the hot summers, you only take so much off......!   ;)
Ed K.