Author Topic: Survey.....  (Read 6117 times)

sentsat71

Re: Survey.....
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
Greg....
I know I have quite a list of reissues that I'd like to see brought back.

Though a few have been, but the one that has disappointed me the most was they dropped the stylized parts from the original issue of the AMT '57 Chevy....there are so many options for that kit, it would take around 6 kits to build ALL the options....How do I know what all the options are? Still have the instruction sheet(s) from the original issue....!  Instruction sheet consist of 3 sheets, 7 3/4 in. side by 17 1/4 in. long, various instructions on each side. The "Pepper Shaker" version that is the latest re-issue of the AMT '57 Chevy, is of the original issue, but might have parts of course fo the stock version, possibly the mild custom version, and of course the drag version. Seems they still include two engine options, which the original issue did as well. The 2005 re-Issue that I have, as the mild custom parts, including the original '57 Buick grill to insert onto the stock grill....and part of the custom options from the original issue, but not quite all of them. Of course the stylized parts have not been part of the kit since the original issue that I know of.....now the other very interesting part of the original kit was showing how to chop the top....the original kit had a cleat "glass" piece to be part of the chopped top. there were supposedly scoring lines on the inside of the top as to where the cuts were to be made along with scoring lines on how to cut the top into four pieces, the glut them to the top of the "glass" top piece which had raised parts of the clear top to line up the top so it would match up to the posts still remaining on the body.

In looking at the 2005 re-issue, one of the front posts still has a mark as to where to cut, the other three corners do not.....
Might have to go hunting other reissues of the original kit......

Think I had another reissue back in the early '80's, but that kit along with so many others over the years found the various trash cans/dumpsters......

Other AMT kits that I have not seen in years are the '63 Chevy II, early '60's Ford and Chevy pickups (not counting the new tool from the late '90's(?)) plus the trailers that were included those kits, the rarely reissued '39/'40 Ford sedan kit. Have not seen the '66 Mustang GT, but the coupe version only....

At the top of the list of MPC kits are the Super Stocker series.....don't care which bodies are in the box...Have a few of them when I last saw them over 10 years ago but not enough......lol
Then there's the MPC late 60's early '70's releases of the Wedge Hauler with the tandem rear axle option which were not part of the couple of AMT issued kits brought out roughly around 10 years or so ago. An earlier issue of the MPC Chevy P/U kit that had option to build a fire truck used for brush fires. The box side and rear piece are still part of the much too often release of the "Cooter Tow Truck" from the Duke's of Hazzard "series".....(had the tow truck version back in the early '70's when it was brought out). Another high on the list of re-issues is the '72/72 Ply. Roadrunner kit with the never built Superbird parts.....Have that kit, but built it as a stock street version.....and have lost the superbird parts over the years.....or just have not found them yet.....just have the feeling that those parts got tossed at some point....

Enough reminiscing and dreaming.....LOL

Ed K.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
I'm with you on the 57 Chevy.  It would actually be cool if all the kits from our youth could be reissued in original form.  Well, a mans got to have a dream and that's most likely where it stays, lol.😎🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 04:06:09 AM »
Greg....yeah, your right on never seeing any early kits reissued with ALL options that were on the original. I can hear it now...."Molds were damaged or lost to remold all these parts."
Read/heard somewhere that's what happened to the AMT '32 Ford 5-Window Coupe from the '60's, losing the cycle fenders and custom hood......

Then there's the issue of front axles going through the engine.....

Then R2 likes back dating kits to "original issue".....which on one kit they went too far....lol
Namely backdating the Datsun Scavenger Tow Truck from the last issue as a Monster Truck back to the  original 3n1 original issue....Me, I wanted that kit to go back to the the way it was BEFORE they made it a Monster Truck....as I wanted the original Scavenger Two Truck, the wild custom hot rod tow truck, with the blown V-8 and flip nose....
Just wonder if the "new" 3n1 kit would work in using parts for both kits to come close to the one I want.....
Ed K.