Author Topic: Old Offy sprint car  (Read 4627 times)

PNWfrank

Old Offy sprint car
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Well here goes my first try posting photos on this site. The car is one of my old Offy sprints. I used the old Monogram 1/18th scale midget kit its been cut down in most directions, chopped, channeled and narrowed. I used one of the Etzell Offys a scratch built frame and rear suspension, I'd like to build a metal front axle and spring for it sIMG_9765 by IMG_9767 by Franklin Davis, on Flickrkr.IMG_9744 by Franklin Davis, on IMG_9739 by Franklin D[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eEHZ28]IMG_8860 by Franklin Davis, on Flickravis[/url], on Flickr/photos/169801167@N06/]Franklin Davis[/url], on Flickromeday.IMG_8119 by Franklin Davis, on IMG_8118 by Franklin Davis, on FlickrFlickrIMG_8200 by Franklin Davis, on FlickrIMG_7957 by Franklin Davis, on Flickr

Bob P.

Re: Old Offy sprint car
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
Very nice build with nice detail, well done.

Bob

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
Great job Frank. You did a lot of work on this puppy...and it certainly shows. I also used that kit to do a midget and trailer build. I kept it at 1/18th scale and completely rebuilt the top of that goofy engine(which is the Marine engine that was run a little back then) into the split twin tower.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Marty W

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:46 PM »
I like it, Frank! What area are you from in the PNW? One of the retirement areas my wife and I are looking at is the Bellingham area. We have just about reached our level of tolerance for LA. Like, quite a while ago!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:35:21 PM by Marty W »

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rett

PNWfrank

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 09:58:41 PM »
Hi Gary, I've also worked over one of the old Monogram "Offys". Still a lot to do but here are some WIP shots.                                                             
               IMG_8884 by Franklin Davis[/ur[url=https://flic.kr/p/244CKzv]IMG_8883 by Franklin Davis, on Flickrl], on Flickrt IMG_8882 by Franklin Davis, on Flickr

PNWfrank

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
Hi Marty we live in Edmonds a suburb North of Seattle. Bellingham is nice, if I were to pick a new location in Western WA I would chose Anacortes.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
Frank! Great post. That's a neat looking sprint can and lots of cool scratch building there! Nicely detailed.

tom

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:23 AM »
WOW!!

That is one GREAT looking sprint car!! 

Same for the other pics of your WIP's!!

Curious what you have done or planning to do with the old AMT Grant King sprint kits.....
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
Man Frank...it's got to be in the blood...Ya know?? Your engine and the one I built are almost the same. Here are a few pics of the one I did for comparison...

Built the Tranny as well....

"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

PNWfrank

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »
Gary, I think your right ! It has to be in the blood, maybe a high methanol level. I like your 110 Offy a lot nice work. Did you make the top half of the magneto? Are you planning on fuel injection or carburetors? I wound up using the FI from the old Lindberg Offy roadster kit as well as the vented side cover, the scale vs. engine size seems close enough for this project. But there's still a lot left to finish when I'm able to get back to my work bench again.

Gary Davis

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
LOL...Hey Frank...with the DAVIS last name...it's in the blood for sure!!

I went with side draft carbs on this build. Everything you see in white is fabbed. Here are a few finished pics...

On the Trailer....