Author Topic: 2 USAC Midgets  (Read 1938 times)

sentsat71

2 USAC Midgets
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:32:12 AM »
from around 1999/2000, From Action Performance Companies

Up first: Dan Drinan 1/24th scale, was autographed by Dan both on the car and the box. Bought it a Hot Wheels/NASCAR collecibles monthly even in SoCal...

The Tony Stewart driven, Steve Lewis owned was found at a souvenir trailer at the Turkey Night Midget Grand Prix in Southern California's Irwindale Raceway half mile paved track.

Did not buy it before the race, but after Tony won the prestigious event. Quickly made my way back to the souvenir trailer in hopes they were not sold out. They weren't, so bought it and headed for the pits to see if I could get it autographed. Long story short, got it autographed, on the top of the tail....getting driver autographs was not something I went after all that often..Though it was one of two I got that night. The other was from Mel Kenyon, when he autographed his book, "A Hand for the Wheel.".
IF memory serves me correctly, Tony drove this car at other USAC events at times around the country...
Don't know if he drove in any of the Turkey Night GP's after his win or not.....as 6 months later I had moved to Florida...
Ed K.

Bob P.

Re: 2 USAC Midgets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
Very nice build Ed. You need to get back to building.

Bob

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
David,
Have to agree with you on that.....

Still think Revell somewhat messed themselves by bringing out the Kurtis Kraft midgets. IMO I think they would have done better by bringing out a modern style midget...
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
Bob P...

These are not kits. they came out of the boxes just as you see them, with the exception of Tony's autograph....

From early 1993, and into the early 2000's I was big into collecting primarily NASCAR 1/64th scale diecast.....between Cup and Busch GN (back then) I collected over 1151 pieces.....there are a few more than that, but have never "recorded" them, from late 2001 until I stopped collecting them. Sold a few shortly after I moved back to Iowa in 2014 at a garage sale. The bulk of them have been packed away since May 2001, prior to the move from CA to FL....Over 90% were taken out of their packaging, as I was NOT collecting them for possible resale later....
When I disovered the monthly Hot Wueels/NASCAR die cast show/sale, that also helped increase the NASCAR collection, got me started on other racing die-cast.....mostly small scale...
Ed K.

Big Orange

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:07:12 AM »
These were such awesome collectibles. I think I may still have a Dan Drinan IWX #33 and a Sarah McCune #58 around somewhere.....I sold most of them off a few years back.
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!