Author Topic: #25 Sprintcar .... Finished...1-28-18  (Read 23706 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
#25 Sprintcar .... Finished...1-28-18
« on: October 15, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
Here's the start of the #25 Sprintcar. The Body is from OVAL TRACK LEGENDS ( Gary Doucette). I've removed a lot of the molded on detail as I want to make this car from a different year. There still needs to be a little more work done on it...but it's getting close. The windshield pattern is in mockup for a look at the right height and shape. I just finished grooving the rear wheels and these are the masters for future builds. The Fronts are going to be the master also. I'm still on the fence about closing the cockpit off with the leather snap-on cover ooorrr..leave it open and detail it. It will have an OFFY engine(or a representation of one...it's basically a curbside). Here are a few pics of the mockup of progress to this point...thanks for looking in folks....

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:13:25 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

JimW

Re: #25 Race Team....Sprintcar (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
great start , love where your going with this build , what is the wheelbase if I may ask ?
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

Gary Davis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
Thanks Jim...man...I haven't measured it. It's a kit from Gary Doucette. I'll lay a ruler on it now... it's an 86 in. wheel base. It kinda looks like a midget in the side shots don't it...I just noticed that...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:58:38 AM »
There it is.....!   :) :)

will be watching which way you will go with this.....covered cockpit or ready to race.....
kinda' like the idea of the covered cockpit, as that's something not seen....
not tryin' go influence you in any way..... :D :D :D
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
There it is.....!   :) :)

will be watching which way you will go with this.....covered cockpit or ready to race.....
kinda' like the idea of the covered cockpit, as that's something not seen....
not tryin' go influence you in any way..... :D :D :D
LOL...yea...you are.... ;D. I've been on the fence with that ever since I thought of covering the cockpit. On one hand...it will be different(like you said..something not usually seen...and that was my first thought also). On the other hand...that car will look really cool with a detailed cockpit area. My wife suggested that I do it both ways. Hmmmm.have to think on that one for a while...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:53:52 PM by Gary Davis »

JimW

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
yeah it looks a litte short in the profile shot , but 86" is right on the money for a 60's sprinter , I like the thought of doing the cockpit with full detail and and have a cover over the cockpit and laoded up on a trailer . if you go with detailed cockpit the in/out box from the AMT Grant King sprinter kit would be spot on for this car and the fuel pump would have been on the front of the engine bolted to the crank shaft , good luck building your sprinter  , Ill be watching closely ...lol
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

Gary Davis

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:47 PM »
Yea...that profile shot was on an angle...not dead on.

I did look at the in/out box in the Grant king and it isn't what I was looking for. Thanks for the in put though..The one in the Watson is what's going in there. I might put the offy block in there to support the headers and the intake tubes. This is a curbside build but some support is needed. I decided to leave the cover off of the cockpit also...it's difficult for me to build an open wheel car without detailing the cockpit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:56:37 AM by Gary Davis »

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
You know what this means, Gary....

You have to build 2 sprints.....one with the detailed cockpit and one with the cover over the cockpit....!! ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D ::) ::)
Ed K.

Gary Davis

Re: #25 Race Team....Sprintcar ..update..10-17-17
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
Hey ED...my wife said the same thing....LOL

I've got a little more accomplished on the interior. The I/O box has been cut off of the block and a mount was made to go onto the firewall. The firewall had to be ground down to be somewhat smooth and square( some what).The seat bottom was also work on to get it into the right shape. Material was added to the bottom of it to raise it. Here are a few pics for a look...
The pan with seat bottom showing..

I/O box...the mount...and in place..

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:30 AM »
Fab work coming along quite nicely.

Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
Thanks ED...I'm in the process of building the front and rear suspension. I'm thinking of adding shocks on both ends. This kit needs a lot of fixing for me to get to the point of doing actual fab work. But...that's ok...it wasn't designed for what I'm doing to it.

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
Therein lies the challenge, right, Gary?
I know it will come out looking great!  :D
Ed K.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
Great start!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Gary Davis

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
Therein lies the challenge, right, Gary?
I know it will come out looking great!  :D
LOL...yep..that's it ED. Thanks for the compliment my friend..

Thanks for the kind words D.K.

Gary Davis

Re: #25 Race Team....Sprintcar ..update..10-21-17
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
Here's an update. quite a bit of the inside of the body had to be removed in order to get somewhat of a level area to place a backing plate( head) for the intake tubes. All is in mockup....