Author Topic: Late Model Nova  (Read 17541 times)

Lefturns75

Late Model Nova
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
1966 Nova built on the same type chassis as my Nova Hobby Stocker.  Revell 55 Chevy chassis but this time as an earlier late model.  Its not a model of any one car, it is just ideas I got from seeing many.  It is mostly evergreen tube and junk box parts with my favorite material, file card for the interior.  I have had this one a while but it is holding up well.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:19:47 PM by Lefturns75 »

Lefturns75

Re: Late Model Nova
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »
Thanks David.  I started seeing this type header in the very late 70's and early 80's.  They called em crossover headers and Schoenfeld still makes them.  I never thought these sounded as cool as the firing order 180 degree headers.  I always liked that ear wax blasting scream they had, guess thats why I am half deaf as a post today.  There was times I could swear the driver was twisting the engine well over 8 grand and when I looked at the tell tale on the tach it might only show 6200.  Those 180's were just killer.   Them was the days.

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
Great looking build, no matter what the age is!!

And I thought I was the only one who liked using file cards as part of various builds...   :)
Ed K.

James2

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:38:38 AM »
Fine looking Nova, nicely detailed too!
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:18:04 AM »
Very nice build.

Bob

Dirtydog

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 05:31:29 AM »
Great build, love the interior detailing!

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:15:01 AM »
Great looking Nova! I think just about everyone liked the sound emitted from them. Funny about sound, give me a flathead with some Porter Steel Packs, a  small block and big block with with some good pipes, or my Harley with some good pipes and I'm a happy man.....I'm getting old, but refuse to grow up!!!

Rett

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
Man George...what a good looking short track car. Your detail work really pops on this one. Love the color combo too. Blue and Gold always look good.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Michael F

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 06:56:30 AM »
Very cool looking Nova! The detailed chassis itself is a masterpiece !!
Greetings from Germany!

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »
 I love it all. The headers, the hand lettering, and of course the weathering. But, what really got me going was the Falstaf decal on the rear quarter. Did you make it, or buy it somewhere?
 Every bar, in my small town, when I was much younger, had Falstaf on tap. One bar offered what they called an Okie boilermaker. It was a shot of Bourbon deluxe in a Falstaf.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
Thanks Olderndirt.  "Olderndirt"………….I like that name, that's just how I feel most of the time.  That Falstaf logo came from an old Woodland  Scenics model railroad dry transfer sheet.  It was old when I bought it sometime in the mid 80's and I have never seen another one.  It might still be available in their line but I have no idea.   I wanted 180 headers on this one and tried different things.  The old MPC Stocker headers just didn't look right to me so I settled for the cross over style that I robbed from one of the Revell IMSA Mustang kits.  I had one warped beyond use so I used it for parts.  I had to modify the two center tubes to fit the chevy head.  The Nova body is from the first release of the new tool from AMT.  Everyone thought I was nuts for hacking it up.  I purchased a case of them back then and the cost was $3.75 per kit.  Wish we could buy em like that today.

ARCA Guy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
That is some fine work!

MarkJ

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »
Excellent job, George. Love all the chassis detail and thought that went into the execution of the build. Like the placement of the oil cooler high and away from damage or dirt accumulating in it.  Awesome build.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:56:04 AM »
You've got a definite handle on the old Revell Tri-five Chevy frames.  Many a car gave their frames up to be shortened and Nova bodied!!!  Outstanding detail work, LT75!!!  I'm really digging the rearend breather as well.  All it needs is an oil soaked grease rag zip tied on the breather, lol!!!  Fantastic build, my man!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤗🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Lefturns75

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
Ha Ha!  Yep, I put those grease rags on the valve cover breathers on the 62.  Years back, I used this sort of system on the Q,C. rear on the 1:1.  The little tank I had was a fuel tank from a Briggs and Stratton engine.  It made filling the Q.C. a snap.  After the crew member had done the "Swan Dive" under the car and changed gears, all the lube could be filled from top and be in the tank.  When they had it buttoned back up, flip the little valve on bottom and all the lube went where it should and then the system acted as a breather.   My driver would stand at the fence and wait until the very last minute as the feature was lining up and run back to strap in.  He would be telling us what tire he wanted and gear.  He could read a track surface like most people read a book.  It usually made it panic for us so thats why I added the little tank.