Author Topic: Jimmy Lord 57 Ford HDTP sportsman  (Read 16984 times)

Dirtman

Jimmy Lord 57 Ford HDTP sportsman
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
IMG_4832 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr

Gonna try my hand at another replica. This one is a '57 Ford Hdtp driven by Jimmy Lord in the Milwaukee are in the late 60's. I only have my memory and one picture to go by, so I'm hoping I get close. Jimmy was one of the areas hot dogs, racing with Frank Smith, Jack Brewer and many other when I first got into racing. He helped my  improve the cars I was driving at the time...

Dirtman

Re: Jimmy Lord 57 Ford HDTP sportsman
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
Looks like you've got a real good start on it as it already has that period correct "look" to it Rett. Sounds like he was a true racer and good guy!

He was a true racer and nice guy. Had a '51 Ford Victoria withe a 312 in high school. Pretty to look at and pretty fast. After HS he started racing and was always a contender for the championship but Frank beat him most of the time. And they were good friends too. He didn't have any sponsors so it was all out of his pocket. Which is good for me, I don't have to worry about much lettering.

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
Looking real good so far Rett. I can't wait to see the progress on this build.

Bob

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
IMG_4837 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr

Ya ever have a day when everything goes RIGHT? I don't have many but today was. I got a cage built and painted, got the front end down just a tad more, found a seat, shifter, extinguisher, and detailed them. Gutted the dash and started running the front hoop! I haven't gotten that much done in the last three weeks. Yipee for me! LOL PS, the wife has been gone all day and it's really peaceful here......LOL

Rett

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
Hey Rett, here's one of my little secrets. I have been known to get a hold of some of Candy's women friends and encourage them to go out and eat or shop or get their nails done or whatever. They think I'm really some kind of guy, one that would care about his wife so much. I usually get a lot done that way. Just sayin.. . .

And yep, the old Ford is looking better all the time!

We are some sneaky old dudes aren't we?

Rett

john2

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:43:56 AM »
 :)  Yeah, you guys better watch it.  If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:05:13 AM »
Ya, you've got that right John! She doesn't get on this forum, so "what she don't know (read) won't hurt her"! Oh, oh, her she comes! Later dudes, Rett
LOLOLOLOL!
Rett

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
This 57 is looking like a short tracker for sure Rett. Looking forward to the next update.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

john2

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
 :)  lol
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
IMG_4839 by Rett Rundell, on Flickr

Got the interior and engine done except for head rest and distributor.

David Bogard

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 11:09:31 PM »
That interior and motor look great! The seat belts, extinguisher and shifter really caught my eye!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
That interior and motor look great! The seat belts, extinguisher and shifter really caught my eye!
I always try to put an extinguisher in my cars, don't know why, just do. Shifter obvious because it should be.  These belts are masking tape and paint. I'll use photo etched hardware on open cars where they show more. Tks, Rett

Rod Statsman McLeod

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
That is looking good. I am building a 64 Fairlane family racer from the same timeframe and see lots of similarities in your build.

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »
Great start. Maybe it's time to finish my Frank Smith replica.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:54:40 AM by slim »

bandit2026

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
Back in 67 & 68 I  was stationed in southern California and was a sure thing to be at Orange show in San Berdue every Saturday night. After all with military I.D. it was only $3 to get in. Those try 5 chevys and fords put on a show. they ran a 6 cylinder  and  8 cylinder class and they would qualify 75 to 80 cars weekly. The only oddball was a fellow named Bill Spencer who lost his life at riverside. He ran a mopar with a slant 6 that would flat haul the mail. Man those were the days.