Construction Topics > Reference material

70s & 80s Late model tech

(1/4) > >>

thirdgearspeedshop:
Hey guys, I'm researching dirt late models from the 70s and 80s (Camaros, bubble fenders, big spoilers) and I was wondering about the engine tech. did they run dry sump oil systems? electric fuel pumps? water reserve tanks? I'm looking into a pretty detailed build. any info is appreciated. Thanks

Brian Conn:
....there was a whole lot of changes from 1970 thru 1989, if you could narrow it down to ,say a few years, that would help...me at least.
  As far as what questions you asked, here's what I can tell you...
  I can tell you for a fact that in 1978 there was dry sumps showing up in dirt Late Models...seen it myself.
   Electrical fuel pumps , for the most part, where not allowed...too much of a safety issue with them still pumping fuel in the event of a fire.
  Water reserve tanks or expansion tanks could be found...some cars had them, others not....something more apt to be found on a pavement Late Model.

Another detail item....in 1979 you could order a roller dirt Late Model chassis from Clayton Peterson Racing Products  Grand Island, Neb. with a manual rack and pinion steering set up.  It was between the 1978 and 1979 racing season that a lot of drivers converted there front suspension from the coil spring/weight jack set up to the coil over shock set up....around here at least.

thirdgearspeedshop:
Thanks Brian,

To narrow it down, here are a couple of pics I'm looking for technical details on. I'm probably around 9 or 10 in the pic which would be around 1983.

john2:
Great pictures.

Brian Conn:
I'm going to back date those pictures a couple of years from 1983.....
  By 1983 , particularly with the N.D.R.A , the bodies where pretty much non stock appearing wedges as opposed to what you have pictured...judging by what you have pictured, I would place them closer to 1979.
  Other reasons I am going with that time frame.....
 The wheels....both cars are shown with steel wheels.
 Both cars show a combination of factory sheet metal and fiberglass body parts.  Rear deck spoiler would have been around 12" give or take a couple of inches.
  As far as the technical aspects go , both of these cars display pretty much the norm for the late 70's ...particularly the 00 Freddy Smith ride.
  There is a variety of different set ups that could have been used.....the front set up could be either of the two that I described in my previous post...the rear more than likely was a leaf spring set up...a lot of the trick set ups for the rear ends would not come into play for a couple of more years i.e 4 links, Z links,etc. although the leaf spring on the Left /coil spring right rear could have been around then, Lefturns75 knows more about that particular set up than I do.   

Engines could have went either way, dry sump or wet sump depending on $$$ available.
  I did see a few automatic transmissions in Late Models that year....a modified Chevy Power Glide for circle track racing.
  Are there any other areas you want to delve into?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version