Construction Topics > Reference material

Vintage Racing Machines

<< < (2/2)

Maineboy:
Same car, other side.

vin2 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

MB

Maineboy:
Copy (or maybe restoration) of a modified that appeared at Beech Ridge Speedway in Scarborough, ME around 1968 or69.

vin3 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Did somebody say this was a very unusual car?

MB

Dirtman:
Good to see that number 7 Monte Carlo included here. Pat "Hacksaw" Heaney from Milwaukee. One heck of a racer. Just recently retired after about 30 odd years of racing around that area.
Rett

David Bogard:
Yes, that #71 Mailbu has had some adjustments made to the top. It was lowered slightly in the front and arced to better fit the cage. There are also some subtle differences between the two views of this car so they may have come from differing body-mounts.

Maineboy:
David, good eye for detail as I said. This subtle change would likely make a positive difference in the aerodynamics at speed.  I know they have used templates at NASCAR races for years as car builders would make very subtle changes in shape, that could give them another mph and maybe some fuel advantage. I admire the kind of thinking that goes into that kind of alteration.

NASCAR templates circa 2010: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/420970-nascar-flexes-its-technical-muscle-before-each-and-every-race

MB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version