Construction Topics > Reference material

Unusual Old jalopy

(1/2) > >>

Maineboy:
This odd duck just showed up while I was searching for something else.  This must be a barn find. Fairly modern cars in the background. I wondered what it was for a while. Not real familiar at all. But with the long nose I figured it had to be a straight 8 motor and that has Buick written all over it. Did a little research and think this is a 34 Buick series 50 4 dr sedan. I would appreciate guesses if maybe I am wrong on that. I don't think these could have made very good racecars as I never saw one before.

Buick jalopy by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Pretty interesting to see something different now and then.

MB

john2:
 :)  The lettering is first class.  Must have been kept inside a    l   o   n   g   time. 

hemiman_2010:
I would guess 1935 Buick

Maineboy:

--- Quote from: hemiman_2010 on September 07, 2021, 07:33:39 AM ---I would guess 1935 Buick

--- End quote ---

Could well be. I am not that acquainted with Buicks of that era. But I was always interested in those straight 8 motors when I saw one. The things look like they are a yard long. A man named Phil "Red" Schafer, from Des Moines, IA built and campaigned a Buick powered car at Indy in the 1930's. He qualified for the Indy 500 seven different times. They said he was a magician with those old motors. He must have been as that was lots better than most other people did at that race. I never saw one of these on any Maine track I ever visited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Shafer

MB

Olderndirt:
I’m more interested in what kind of axles it has under it that use four lug wheels.

Olderndirt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version