Author Topic: New racing series on Discovery Channel  (Read 2513 times)

Marty W

New racing series on Discovery Channel
« on: October 25, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »
Hi Guys. There is a new reality show coming up next week, about asphalt short track racing on the Discovery Channel, called "Race Night at Bowman Gray". Looks like it might be worth watching.

The first episode starts Monday, Oct. 29 at 11:00 pm Pacific.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:05:17 AM by Marty W »

Dirtman

Re: New racing series on Discovery Channel
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:56:53 AM »
Will be checking that out! Probably should be called Fight Night if it's coming from Bowman Gray!!!

Rett

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
If it is anything like the last series I saw from there, I'll just watch some re-runs of Ren & Stimpy.

Gary66

• Support ypur local short tracks!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »
It's different than Madhouse, but still not 100 percent truthful.

(Preface: I attended all the races at Bowman Gray this season while they filmed, and use a 2 scanner set -up to listen to the teams/drivers).

The sound effects they have added to the show are terrible. Like a poorly done video game. They also have spliced made up radio communications in with real ones.
FYI....spotters almost never, ever say the car number at Bowman Gray when talking to a driver. They use the driver's name or nickname. So, when you hear on the tv show :car 79, or car 4, or car 83....that's post production added dialogue to help with the story. Some of it is real, Tim did say right after the wreck in the 200 he thought he had broke both his thumbs.

They could have had a much better show if they did the Sportsman division there and wouldn't have to make up anything.

bandit2026

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:29:44 AM »
Back in the day they had a race called the tobacco bowl for modifieds. Since it was late October and the season was over all the hot shoes showed up. That was racing!

TonyK

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
Rarely anyone can limit themselves to do a real show that doesn't insult the intelligence of a true race fan. As you pointed out about the fake sounds added and fake radio communications. It can be done right but it seems no one wants to put out the effort to make a decent show anymore.
Even daily shows such as Nascar Race Hub like to splice in fake commentary with that echo effect and it just grinds me.