Author Topic: Jim Shampine sprint car  (Read 3228 times)

Bob P.

Jim Shampine sprint car
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:35:43 PM »
This is my attempt at a sprint car replica of the 8 Ball sprint car driven by the late Jim Shampine.
Jim Shampine was a legendary racer in supermodifieds at Oswego speedway. At the end of the
1979 season Jim’s rear engine car was banned from competition and that was the straw for Shampine at Oswego. He decided to go sprint car racing. Jim bought a new chassis from Charlie and Mike Lloyd in Pa, car owner and builder for Smokey Snelbaker 56. I believe Jim raced the sprint car for around three years. He raced in central Pa. and some with United racing club. He also raced some with the World of outlaws when they came to the area.

The kit I'm using for this build is a Challenger chassis car.
I used this because the roll cage is built very similar to a Lloyd chassis that Shampine raced.

Hosted on Fotki

This is the version of the car I'm going to build.
Like most race cars it changed slightly from year to year.

Hosted on Fotki

I did some modifications to the hood. The Side panel are from thin plastic.

Hosted on Fotki

Left side view.

Hosted on Fotki

Top wing made from kit wing. Side panels cut down and made smooth.

Hosted on Fotki

Greg Holland is working on the decals for this build.
I hope you enjoy following along.

Bob

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:17:31 PM by Bob P. »

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
Re: Jim Shampine sprint car
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
Great subject Bob. The fabwork looks good. Looking forward to seeing more of this one...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »
Updated 12/15/18,

Painted and ready for decals and final assembly.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

Hondo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
Looking like the real thing, Bob !

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 06:02:16 AM »
Wow!!

Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Great looking build.  Looks like you have captured the real thing.  I do have some questions.  1) What color is that, 2) Did you fabricate the front wing as it looks like much larger than the kit wing and are you going to use the kit supplied engine?  thanks Al

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Fordguy01 I'll try to answers your questions in the order you ask them below.

1. The color is Tamiya TS Cobalt Green. The paint was recommend by someone on a Facebood page, who built some of the Shampine supermodifieds. In my opinion it is a very good match to the original color of his cars. I have the book on Jim Shampine and if I remember correctly the green paint is from a Dodge pickup color.

2. The botom of the front wing is from the kit. I lengthened the top portion with a thin piece of plastic .6 MM thick.
The sides of the front wing are made from aluminum .2 MM thick.  I got some aluminum sheets, of this material, from a guy in a model club I belong to. It's from a local newspaper. It's used in the printing process. This is very thin and has a lot of uses in my opinion.

3. I am using the engine from the kit.

This is the aluminum sheet from the newspaper printer I used for the front wing side panels.
The material is aluminum on one side and green on the other side. The aluminum side would be perfect for a sprint car wing that is unpainted. The model frame is just to show the size of the aluminum sheet.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:29:25 PM by Bob P. »

RandB11

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
I'm not a real big Sprint car fan, but I do like this one!! Excellent detail, can't wait to see more!
Rick :)