Author Topic: 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona  (Read 18157 times)

MarkJ

Re: 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2020, 08:10:25 AM »
All the decals are done except the front fenders which are painstaking to apply because they are cady style and there are a lot of them. also have 3 on the engine that need to be applied. After that i need to do the hood and trunk pins and the back glass straps. Those items always get knocked off if i do them before the decalling.  the final step is the pledge floor finish to seal the decals and create a better final finish. Pretty happy so far with the results.

sentsat71

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
Looking forward to the completed build....
Ed K.

MarkJ

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:16 AM »
Thanks , Ed. I'm hoping to finish the model today and possibly take the final photos tomorrow.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm with you ED....Looking forward to the finished Pics of this bad boy...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2020, 05:12:38 PM »
Thanks Gary , I'm finally done. Checked off my checklist and the only thing left is pledge floor finish. Will do that tomorrow afternoon and maybe do the photos Sunday. Still having some issues with this new decal system. Its hard to get the fixative just  right  on the finished sheets. If you use testors  1261 like i did on the ink jet decals I used to make, its too hot and makes the ink wash out on the decals . especially the contengencies. I'm using  Krylon "Preserve It". Its hard to get the right distance so that it goes on smooth but doesnt run. The problem is it drys very fast and if your too far away it goes on very rough like sandpaper. You have to put it on thick or the decals come apart like as if they were really old decals. But if you get too close to get a smooth finish it can run. there is an optimal way to use this product but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Gary Davis

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
Man Mark...that sounds like a pain in the pa'tootie...that new decal system. Is that ink jet or laser? 
I've been using The Testors 9200 Decal bonder but....I just did a search and it's not Available.. ANYWHERE! So...i guess I better use what I have very sparingly.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »
Man Mark...that sounds like a pain in the pa'tootie...that new decal system. Is that ink jet or laser? 
I've been using The Testors 9200 Decal bonder but....I just did a search and it's not Available.. ANYWHERE! So...i guess I better use what I have very sparingly.

Gary, Its the new laser system that micro mark is pushing. You have to get a laser printer and a ghost white toner cartridge. Its nice to finally be able to print white decals but its a lot of work to get it done. I think it was really designed for t-shirt makers not model car makers with fine print that has to be done, especially on 1/25 scale contengencies.. Well i'm stuck with it now and have to make due.

Gary Davis

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
It sounds like once you get the your system with that printer locked in...you'll be good to go. I found another type of Decal bonder (Microscale Liquid decal film)you might be interested in....if you haven't tried it yet. Here's a link to what I found.    https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/micro-liquid-decal-film/MIC00000012/product.php?micr=791
I have a few bottles of it and it works good on saving old decals. I'm thinking it might work in you situation. If it don't craze the older decals...it shouldn't craze your new stuff. But..we never know untill we try it.

MarkJ

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
Thanks, Gary. I  have a bottle of that some where. Ive never thought to use it on an entire sheet but maybe that might be what i need to solve my issues. It says you can brush it on and wait 20 minutes and then you can apply the decals. If I can find that bottle I might just print out a test sheet and see how it works. Thanks again.

MarkJ

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
   More in the finished model threads

Gary Davis

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
Man Mark...this really looks good! I want to build the same car one day.

sentsat71

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »
Yeppers....I was right.....

Knew this was the one you were building..,,once you mentioned the small block engine and the fact it was the last Daytona to ever race...

Didn't Bill France, Sr, outright ban the Daytonas and Superbirds when this car ran competively with the big block cars?

Just checked out the pics in the other post.....OUSTANDING JOB on this killer build!!!!!!!!
Ed K.

MarkJ

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2020, 04:37:20 PM »
Man Mark...this really looks good! I want to build the same car one day.

Looking forward to your build , Gary.

MarkJ

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 04:44:14 PM »
Yeppers....I was right.....

Knew this was the one you were building..,,once you mentioned the small block engine and the fact it was the last Daytona to ever race...

Didn't Bill France, Sr, outright ban the Daytonas and Superbirds when this car ran competively with the big block cars?

Just checked out the pics in the other post.....OUSTANDING JOB on this killer build!!!!!!!!

Yes, Ed. i think in my research for this build, I came across that Bill Sr. did completely outlaw the winged cars as well as the Talladega and the Mecury that looked pretty much like it. If one of the Ford guys had wanted to race a Talladega or that Merc at the 71 Daytona 500, they would have had to come up with a 305 motor to do it but there were no takers. Thanks for the props on the build , I really appreciate it.

Gary Davis

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »
 The car I want to build is the #22 but...it's Bobby Allisons' car. I have the power slide decal sheet for both those cars. Seeing your outstanding build makes me want to do it right now.