Author Topic: 66 Nova stocker  (Read 20024 times)

Charlie.D

Re: 66 Nova stocker
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it done
Charlie Daniel

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
This is really looking good.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Rich Sipos

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
Looks like a good start! Welcome
 Rich

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
Great work "so far" lol. I know this question has been asked before, but, ......what kind of glue do you use to hold all of the components together that you can take apart to paint?

Rett

I usually use blue Locktite putty for mock ups. I also use styrene rod to pin things together if they need disassembled before paint.

Dirtman

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 10:54:05 AM »
Great work "so far" lol. I know this question has been asked before, but, ......what kind of glue do you use to hold all of the components together that you can take apart to paint?

Rett

I usually use blue Locktite putty for mock ups. I also use styrene rod to pin things together if they need disassembled before paint.

Tks for the answer. I will try the pin method in one of my future builds....Keep on building this one, it's really looking great!

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »
Thanks, I'm painting the body now. Getting a good paint job is my weakness so we'll see how it goes.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
Update:
This is the part of the build that is my least favorite. Painting the body. I still have to wet sand/polish, decal and one more coat of clear before I can put the body on and call it done. The paint is Tamiya Italian Red and Tamiya Gloss Aluminum rattle cans.

Lefturns75

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »
ThirdG, I am like you, I don't really like the body painting and I find it tough to get that show quality paint job.  I always tell myself that these cars looked great from the stands but when you got up close and looked at em there were dents, wrinkles, scrapes and tire marks.  None of them were pretty.  With the crappy painting I do, I just add some mud, dust, and maybe some dents with a tire mark or something and hide my poor painting skills.  It will add to the flavor of the subject and nobody will think any less of it.  I can tell you right now my Camaro will not have perfect paint!  Its a short tracker, I expect to see some dings and dents so don't sweat the paint.  Keep Pluggin' you're doing just fine.

MarkJ

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
Update:
This is the part of the build that is my least favorite. Painting the body. I still have to wet sand/polish, decal and one more coat of clear before I can put the body on and call it done. The paint is Tamiya Italian Red and Tamiya Gloss Aluminum rattle cans.

With the Tamiya paint , if you get a little closer and get it wetter without making it run you wont have to sand and polish. just clear it.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »

[/quote]
With the Tamiya paint , if you get a little closer and get it wetter without making it run you wont have to sand and polish. just clear it.
[/quote]

I have seen others do that. perhaps Im moving across the model too fast, not laying down enough paint.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
I always Prime and sand the surface first. I also put the can in a can of warm water before shooting paint. I agree, the Tamiya cans are great, but I have never been able to get a decent finish without lots of polishing, clear coats, more polishing. Trial and error I guess. I've also noticed it takes at least 2 cans to get decent coverage.

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
Paint seems to be one of those things that you get so many suggestions and conversations about. Everybody has different methods. So many variables. I just do what seems best and try to salvage a decent finish each time

Lefturns75

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
ThirdG, I agree with David, I can get at least three cars out of a can of Tamiya paint.  If it is taking you two cans to get coverage are you shooting it from the other room?  I was trying to remember my last couple of paint jobs and I doubt I was more than 8 inches away at the start and around 6 inches away at finish.  And as David said, the tips on Tamiya are pretty durn good.  With Testors you never know what you will get.  I am NO painter either but my paint does improve when I use Tamiya.  Paint up some junkers at different distances and speeds and I am sure you will get a handle on it.  I know this sounds silly but I find painting like welding.  You gotta watch the "Puddle" to get the distance and speed right if that makes any sense.  If you're not a welder, I am pretty sure I just lost you. 

thirdgearspeedshop

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »
I'm not a welder, but I get what you mean. Welding is a skill I've wanted to learn for a while.

Lefturns75

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Third, I usually lay down a couple of "Tack" coats in which I don't try too hard to cover.  Then I do a "Color" coat.  When you make a pass you should see the paint gloss up as it lays down.  If you don't I would think you are still too far away.  If you get too close, you really will see a "Puddle" and get runs and sags.  Just keep trying, I have more barfed up paint jobs than I ever got good ones but I learned in the process.  The more you do, the better you get.  Everybody does it different and there must be at least 100 different ways of shooting paint so develop your own style and do what works for you.  What works for David and myself may not work for you or someone else.    Your Nova looks fine to me, I would put it on my shelf anytime and be proud of it.