Author Topic: Stalled Projects  (Read 12402 times)

Lefturns75

Stalled Projects
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Yep, we all got em, stalled projects in a box somewhere.  Since things are kinda slow, here is a pile of projects I have had in the box since the mid 90's and earlier.  I stopped work on these due to other projects or just didn't like the way it was playing out.  All of these were built for my enjoyment and I never intended to show any of them but I will share these unfinished gloo bombs with you guys.  I guess I really should finish some of these when the mood hits me-----if it ever does. 

This one is based on the MPC Super Stocker chassis and some scratch building along with a Revell 69 Camaro body.  I think I stopped this one as I wasn't sure how to make the front suspension look more like the real thing and not the fake MPC offering.

The old AMT 57 Ford was the base for this early pounder.  I used some photos of a local 57 that raced here around 69-70 and thought about doing a replica.  It used the old square type roll cage and center steering.  Don't remember why I stopped this one------maybe some day.

This was another Revell 55 Chevy chassis and was sized to fit a number of Chevelle Bodies.  I had sorta picked the AMT 65 Chevelle modified stocker body but couldn't make up my mind.  Anyway, I got tired of this one and started something else.  Maybe someday also.

In the late 80's I found some nice photos of a H/M 1963 bare chassis and cut up another AMT 57 Ford for the frame rails.  this one was up on all fours at one time but has banged around in the box so long it is missing them.  This stayed in the box too long as some crafty modeler finally built one of these and it has been shown everywhere.  Thats what I get for waiting.  I did this one about 1988.

David Bogard

Re: Stalled Projects
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
These are all pretty outstanding! I could have a good time for the next month or two just bringing these all the way home! Maybe just take a stab at knocking out one of these wonderfully started builds!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Charlie.D

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it done David
Charlie Daniel

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
Man, you've got some serious stuff there. Hoping you get back to them and looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!

Rett

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:36:42 AM »
Man, my place is ground zero for stalled projects. I just seem to have a knack for painting myself into a corner. I think I get sidetracked with the “oh wouldn’t that be a cool feature world” and get bogged down, and lose interest. Or, have a midbuild mishap, and get too discouraged to proceed.

Olderndirt

Dirtman

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »
Yeah, I get all enthused and start building something, then it doesn't go the way I want, I then get impatient. I will finish it but I'm ususally not to happy with it. Sometimes I'll cut a a corner or two just to get it done.  Right now, I have no stalled projects, just two that I'm trying to get done. Lately, haven't had much ambition. Just want to go ride my motorcycle and have fun....

Rett

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
...As good as any thread for my first post I suppose....

I have 7 builds in various stages of being stalled out that I want to see done before I take on anything new...I guess a self imposed moratorium would be what it is.

Hosted on Fotki
  Scratch building several items for this build......A/C , period correct Police Interceptor tranny cooler and oil cooler.  Ordered some after market resin pieces for a big block/C-6 tranny combo...went gung ho on this after I first got it, then got side tracked w/ a CBP.

Hosted on Fotki
  This is one of two extreme make overs that I got going on...'79 Mustang dirt Late Model... just was never quite satisfied with it after finishing it for a CBP in late 2010.  Moved it off of the back burner for another CBP that never really materialized a couple of years ago....moved it to the back burner again when another build project took up my time. 

Don't have any pictures posted currently in my Fotki acct. but there is a '57 Ford 2 door Ranch Wagon that I started on in late 2013 being built as a dirt Sportsman...some 3 years before being released by Monogram as a kit.

Don't have any pictures of this posted at Fotki as well... '65 Mustang Coupe dirt Limited Late Model/ Sportsman future rebuild/rework....was working on this build when my father passed away 5 years ago, haven't picked it up since.

Another no pictures to share via Fotki....'57 Ford Thunderbird junk yard dog dirt Sportsman...don't remember what the distraction was with this one.

This is what the '58 Edsel looked like before I decided to build it into a dirt Sportsman...don't know what side tracked me with this one...

'76 Ford Ranchero dirt Sportsman... another cbp that failed to really materialize, moved on to another different cbp that took up most of my spare time in the hobby room ....Lefturns75 was a huge help with the "unique" rear suspension on this one of a kind build.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:07:00 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
  Thanks.....Got a '78 Mustang II dirt Late Model extreme make over that I am working on now...no big hurry to get it finished now >:(....once I get it wrapped up , I'll start on either the '79 Mustang dirt Late Model or '76 Ranchero Sportsman that are pictured above.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:19 PM »
OK, I think this is the last of my never finished pile of junkers.  I am sure there are more but they get even more boring.   This first one was to be a coupe with a six for power,  It is the AMT Vicky Chassis and evergreen tube for the cage material.  I got this far and like a real klutz I stepped on the body and it was a total loss.  I can always use the Vicky body should I finish this one.

This one was going to be a model of a local racers sedan from 1969.  I had a couple of photos and was all excited and when doing some mods on the body I realized the real car was a 28, not a 31 like this one and the real car was on an entirely different set of chassis rails.  The Driver is no longer with us so I can't ask him what it was.  Soooooooo, back in the box.

This is the Monogram Edmunds Super kit.  I had some plans to detail this one and wired, plumbed, and scratched a double torsion bar set up for the rear.  I worked about three days on a front axle with working steering.  I cut the hood and nose so it could be removed.  Then I misplaced the box with all those parts.  I to this day have not found it, I guess I discarded it by mistake.  If any of you fellas have some of those parts ya don't need, let me know.

I found part of an AMT Tobias Modified kit back during the time you couldn't find any and did some measuring.  I built one out of evergreen square and round tube.  The Chassis in front is the kit item and the one in the rear is the scratch built one.  I made the four coil over shocks using some old click type ink pen springs.  When I got the project to this point, Those kits were re-issued and they were everywhere.  That took the wind out of my project quick.  Once again, back in the box.

Well, that's all I have found so far.  I am sure there are more abandoned projects around and if I find em I'll post em.  I really should get off my duff and finish some of this junk before I get too old to want to.  Otherwise, all this will end up in a dumpster some day. 

James2

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
I think this subject should have its own special place...
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »
I think this subject should have its own special place…

LMAO!  I agree James2 but the Sanitation Department won't run again until next Thursday. 

Olderndirt

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
You guys have restored my will to live. Heck, in this group, I don’t stick out at all. Oddly enough I have a stalled Vicky super modified, and a Model A sedan modified, that is stalled as well. I also ruined my Vicky body, but found a resin one in the reject pile at a NNL some years ago. The Vicky is close, but I opted to scratch build a posable front end, but haven’t built the complicated tie rod, and drag link, and haven’t built the brackets for the wing yet. Pretty much you name it and I have one stalled at some stage of construction.

Olderndirt

TarheelRick

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »
Wait a minute, do you mean we are supposed to finish these things?
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
Question....

How old is everyone's stalled build(s).....????

Mine dates back to 1979......
Monogram's '55 Ford P/U.....one with the yellow box art......
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
The ones I posted range from 1988 to 2006.