Author Topic: 1980 TIM RICHMOND 1980 Rookie indycar Finished...3-17-19  (Read 15235 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
1980 TIM RICHMOND 1980 Rookie indycar Finished...3-17-19
« on: September 01, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
I started watching Tim drive his #25 Folgers Monte Carlo( in the 80's) like a man possessed. That's when he caught my attention. I hadn't realized that he(like quite a few other drivers) had started their careers in the short track Dirt arenas. In fact.....I'd found out about his Super Modfied racing a few yrs back when I saw his car at the WORLD of SPEED Museum in Wilsonville, Ore. I took a whole slew of pics of that car and will build it in the future.

In order to get the PC-7 for this build..an AMT PC-6 was used for the Donner. The side pods had to be cut off and and rebuilt to represent the side pods of the first down force car to run at Indy. Trying to get measurements for the correct dimensions on the side pods was next to nothing that I could find. Going by the few pics that I have I went forward. The engine cowl had to be re-worked as it also was different. In the front shot of the 1/1 car I saw that they rounded off all leading edges leading into the side pod tunnel. I"ve got that like I want it and now...I have to build the curved ramp that deflects the air flow out through the top of the side pod.

Here are a few pics of the progress to this point. A lot more work is to be done on the body and the side panel for the side pods. A head rest has to be fabbed also. Thanks for stopping in and looking folks....

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:03:09 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
I can already tell this is going to be awesome.

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »
Gary I think you have taken on a huge project.  To me, Indy cars are the toughest to do conversions on, the kits are not that great to start with and there never seem to be enough reference photos.  I have tried three, completed NONE.   Good luck with this project, it is an interesting subject.  Keep cutt'in and Gloo'in, you'll get there!!   Mine either ended up in parts boxes or bounced off the wall. 

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
Looks real good, Gary!!!  I've never attempted one of the AMT Indy cars but they are a very fiddely thing to build from all accounts that I've heard.  Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »
Looking good Gary, I'm anxious to see this one when finished. Keep us updated on the progress.

Bob

Gary Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:11:51 PM »
Thanks for stopping in and commenting folks. These AMT indy kits are way old but for the time period that's all that was out there. This kit is just a donner for this project..... as you can probably tell. I've got the ramps built that are located on the inside of each side pod. The side panels for same need to be fabbed along with top back panel. The front wing end plates need to be rebuilt also. I'll have update pics here in a few days...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..9-7-18
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
Here's a small update. I've got the ramps built on both side pods. Now I can get the side panel for each side drawn and added along with the 2 top panels in the engine area. Here's a few pics ....thanks for looking in and commenting folks...

Bob P.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »
Coming along nice Gary, a lot of fab work going on there.

Bob

Gary Davis

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
Thanks Bob. The end panels on the front wing need to be fabbed also. The existing panels are too small and the wrong shape for Tim's car.

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »
Yes, Its always good to set the tires and wheels around to get a feel for the way it will look. Do you have a ref pic of the real car to share?

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
Gary....
Doesn't matter what you build......it will have my attention...... :)
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
Thanks for looking in and commenting Bob and ED....

Yes, Its always good to set the tires and wheels around to get a feel for the way it will look. Do you have a ref pic of the real car to share?
I set the wheels and tires( wheel base..center to center) to get measurements for the side panels and the top panel. When I started this build...I honestly didn't think there would be this much fab work. But that's not the case here....of course...LOL   That's ok though....this has been a pretty challenging build. I do have the first set of side panels in mock up. I use card stock to get the correct pattern and then I'll trace it to sheet plastic.

Here's a pic of the car at speed...

Here's an update also...the first set of side panels They're a little to high...need to be trimmed down and the slope needs to be re-slopped also. The front wing end plates have been rebuilt and added.....

Old front wing plates..

New....

Side panel first mock up (using card stock)....

MarkJ

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..9-10-18
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
Thanks, for the photo , Gary. Looks like your making the needed changes to the nose. This is going to be a one of a kind model, which is always nice to have.

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..9-11-18
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »
Thanks Mark. Yea...it's a one of a kind. Not a kit of this car for sure.

Here's a small but important update. ALL the side and top body panels have been made and are in mock up. The top panel still needs the curved portion on the tire side made. This is really starting to look like an Indycar. Looks kinda funny(naked if you will) with out the rear wing. Here's a few pics... Thanks for looking and commenting folks....

side panels ...

Top and Side panels....

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:42:02 PM by Gary Davis »

Bob P.

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..9-11-18
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »
Boy Gary, there's a lot of fantastic fab work going on there.
That thing is going to look great when finished, I can't wait.

Bob