Author Topic: 1980 TIM RICHMOND 1980 Rookie indycar Finished...3-17-19  (Read 15232 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..9-11-18
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »
Thank you Bob for the look-in and comment.When I started this build I really didn't know how much fab work it was going to take. It kinda surprised me. LOL I love fab work as it challenges me to do better on each build.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE) INDY CAR...UPDATE..10-8-18
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »

Here's an update.... Both side panels are finished. The fuel buckeye slot on the left panel was fabbed. Both radiator slots were also cut in. The radiators( from the pc6 kit) were also reconfigured and added. The front part of the body panel was pinned so it wold go back in place exactly the same place every time. The top part of the engine cowl was also Fabbed and the whole for the POP OFF valve was cut in( it's off a hair and needs to be fixed...soon..) plus the base for the pop off valve was made for the intake plenium. The head rest and rollbar panel were fabbed and need to be touched up a little.. It's coming together a little at time. Primer is on the horizon!! Thanks for stopping in and commenting folks...

New engine cowl and fuel buckeye slot...

Radiators and Intake plenum..headrest ...rollbar ...

with the side panels on...

"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

sentsat71

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 07:40:06 AM »
Wow!!
GREAT Fab work, Gary!!

just one question though....
What's the pepper for?  lol  ::) ;D
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 12:55:33 AM »
Thanks Ed... the pepper can is for used Xacto and Razor blades.

sentsat71

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 07:57:47 AM »
Thanks, Gary....
Just knew it had to have a purpose..... :)
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »
A lot of nice work here Gary. And yes, good reminder on the blades. If you're not going through a half dozen blades on even the most mundane build, then you're making it harder on yourself than you should!

Thanks for the compliment David.   That's for sure on the Blades. I use three different type of cutting blades. Scalpel..(for Decals)..Xacto and single edge razor blade for all other cutting. I've also taken a single edge razor blade and broke it at an angle so it would fit in the Xacto handle for  small hard to get at areas. Those things get dull pretty fast but for a specialty cutter...it works good.

sentsat71

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
David Bogard said
And yes, good reminder on the blades. If you're not going through a half dozen blades on even the most mundane build, then you're making it harder on yourself than you should!

Found that out the hard way back in the '70's,,,,still have a very faint scar on the tip of my left middle finger where an X-Acto  knife tip caught that finger when working with an old blade slipped off where i was trying to trim something and caught that finger tip. Talk about seeing stars like those cartoon characters do, Whatever i was working went flying across the room. Still think i hit a nerve as that area around the cut has been numb ever since. Not to mention how long it took to stop the bleeding. No....did not go to emergency or Dr.'s office.

Ed K.

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE Car)..Engine UPDATE..10-13-18
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
Started on the engine area and had to come up with a way to attach the headers from the block to the turbo. I cut off the turbo housing and pinned it so it was removable. I then pinned the connecting tube(??) ends that attach to the ends of the headers. This way the whole thing will come apart (for paint) and make it a whole lot easier to assemble once everything is painted. The POP Valve was also fabbed and is in. Here are a few Progress pics...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:35:12 PM by Gary Davis »

sentsat71

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE Car)..Engine UPDATE..10-13-18
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »
Wow!!
That;s quite the fab work!
Ed K.

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE Car)..suspension UPDATE..10-22-18
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Hey Ed...yes...more fab work is on it's way....

This update is on the coil over shocks on the rear suspension. I almost went with the molded on coils and shocks... but after removing the mold seams and pin marks I decided that they were going to be a pain in the paint brush to paint the springs and the shocks. Sooo..I decided to make the coil overs out of tube and rod from evergreen. The coil is .030 soft leader wire that I picked up at Cabella's. I made them so that they will come apart for easier painting....

Kit shocks...

Removed them here...

Coil springs....

New shocks and springs together...

sentsat71

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND (ROOKIE Car)..suspension UPDATE..10-22-18
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 07:29:17 AM »
Oh, yeah....!!

Wish i had the patience to try this.....
Ed K.

Gary Davis

Re: 1980 TIM RICHMOND..engine/wheel UPDATE..11-26-18
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
Here's a progress post. The engine is painted using ALL ALCLAD metal paints and in MOCKUP to see how things will fit together after paint. I'm happy with the snug fits. I still have clean-up and also touch-up painting to do but it's getting there. I wanted to shoot the white on the body today but it needs a few spots touched up on the body work. Here's a few engine shots...

Here are a few shots of the wheels that I shot with ALSA MIRROR CHROME. I like this paint and it's fairly easy to work with.

It dries fast and is pretty durable. It is a little on the spendy side but to me...it was worth it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:07:52 PM by Gary Davis »

Bob P.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
Looking fantastic Gary. Engine and wheels look great.
I can't wait to see this one finished.

Bob

sentsat71

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
Oh, yeah!!!

Engine and wheels/tires look great!!
Ed K.

Gary Davis

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 01:53:56 PM »
Thanks for stopping in and commenting Bob and Ed. I still have to do the lettering on the tires to finish them. Of course....there are still a few small things like the ignition wires and smaller parts to add to the engine... It's starting to come together....